Friday, April 29, 2011

Get Excited

I’ve had three children, but you knew that didn’t you?  I’ve also had a kidney stone, I’ve fractured my shoulder and I’ve fractured my wrist.  Point is, I know pain.

Contractions are pretty intense pain.  You know the headache you get when you eat ice cream (or something cold) too quickly?  Well, that’s the pain of a contraction, only it last a lot longer and happens every 2 to 3 minutes for say, oh I don’t know, 4 to 24 hours.  One word for all you ladies out there—epidural. 

Having a kidney stone is painful, nowhere near as painful as a contraction however, so men, don’t think there is anything in comparison.  Well maybe there is— A Marathon.  All of the things I mentioned PALE in comparison to 26 miles 385 yards. 

finish

There are some similarities among childbirth and labor nonetheless.  For instance, after you have a baby, what is the first thing everyone asks you?  Are you going to have another one?  The same goes for a marathon.  No one lets you bask in the mediocrity glory of the first one, they just want to know if there will be more.  For me, making the decision about having another baby meant forgetting the pain and suffering that goes into being pregnant and then actually having a baby.  Likewise, deciding to do another marathon meant forgetting the pain of the first. 

sdt mile 6

I’m not so sure I’ve FORGOTTON the pain of the first marathon, but I think I’m ready to tackle it again.  I better be because I signed up for Rock n Roll San Antonio on November 13th. 

san antonio 2

Running a marathon, while both mentally and physically grueling, isn’t REALLY that bad.  Wait, it does really suck, I can’t lie.  But my point is, you can do anything for 3 hours or 5 hours or however long it takes.  It’s the training and preparation that are so hard.  Convincing yourself week after week to run, run, run and then run some more.  You begin to HATE it.  Who wants to feel that way?  NOT ME! 

And that my friends is why I’ve chosen Hal Higdon’s Marathon 3 Training Plan for my second marathon.  Marathon 3 is a program designed for runners who wish to run 3 days a week.  This allows for more cross training, which I will need in order to complete some longer cycling events in the fall.  Marathon 3 includes THREE 20 mile runs in the training program, but each is followed by a tapered long run the following week. So yes you get to run just 3 times a week, but you have to do 3 twenty milers.  YIKES! 

Another thing, Marathon 3 is a 24 week training program.  I’ll do the math for you, that’s 6 months!  YIKES again.  Therefore, marathon training for Rock n Roll San Antonio will begin on May 29th—exactly 30 days from today! 

Here’s what 24 weeks of training looks like. 

marathon 3

marathon 3b

Get scared excited people get excited! 

7 comments:

Tracey said...

I have never seen that training plan. Looks like a good one. I may have to try it! Thanks for posting.

Julie Harmon said...

I really like this program- I'm in!

Anonymous said...

Wow - it is mind boggling to me! xoxo G.

Ron said...

glad you pointed out this program!! i will need a three day to get ready for my next half!!

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

holy. crap.

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Wo said...

holy. crap.

Tracey said...

I have never seen that training plan. Looks like a good one. I may have to try it! Thanks for posting.

Post a Comment