Saturday, April 30, 2011

Most Improved

….. and the CC United Team Italy Spring 2011 Most Improved Player is……

Ella Tirch

End of Soccer and Disney Princess on Ice 012

She might not be the best player on the team, but she’s pushing herself to be better, improving with each game.  Today I realized, my daughter is my inspiration.  Who doesn’t want to improve?  Who doesn’t want to get better with each new opportunity? 

Let’s take a look at some of my race times. 

Name Date Time
Spirit of Pgh Half November 2009 2:17:22
Pittsburgh Half May 2010 2:09:20
Decker Challenge December 2010 2:21:06
Austin Marathon February 2011 4:58:19
RNR Dallas Half March 2011 2:17:12

From November to May (just 6 months) I managed to shave 8 minutes off my half marathon time.   In May of 2010 I felt like I was in the best shape of my life.  I averaged a 9:53 pace at the Pittsburgh Half Marathon.  I was working toward my goal of a sub 2:00 half and I was confident I’d make it there by fall. 

Life had a different plan for me.  My accident set me back quite a bit.  In fact, the second half of 2010 was probably the worst time of my life.  Not to be dramatic, but I had some pretty terrible luck.  Coming back and completing Decker Challenge in December, even at 2:21:06, felt like a victory.

decker challenge4

I’ll be honest, completing my first marathon was a victory as well.  My victory was made even sweeter by finishing in less than 5 hours (by the hair of my chinny chin chin), but I knew I had done the minimum I could to get by.  In this case it was rightfully so.  I had been through a lot (multiple surgeries, kidney stones, physical therapy) and my body was still recuperating. 

I felt like my redemption would come at Rock n Roll Dallas.  I could finally prove to myself that I had overcome all the obstacles of 2010.  I was finally completely healthy, yet I didn’t improve. 

Rock N Roll Dallas Half Marathon 002

The fact of the matter is, I didn’t put in the effort to improve.  I did the minimum I could do to get by.  Part of that has to do with life and the way “things” seem to take over.  That’s all part of being a mom and my children being a priority.  I admit too that part of it has to do with settling--  settling with staying at my current level, not pushing myself to be better, and becoming complacent. 

So here I am blog world letting you know, I will IMPROVE my marathon time.  I will push myself to do better, learn more, become more efficient and get FASTER!  I will let my daughter be my inspiration and IMPROVE.

To help me improve my ranking on TopMommyBlogs click here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:o)

Ron said...

you should work some intervals and speed training into your weekly workout. Speed workouts will improve lung capacity, lengthen your stride, and help to lower those times much faster than constant distance workouts.

also there is some new research out there(see the outside magazine this month with Steven Colbert on the cover) it has detail workouts that are shorter than your regulars, but at a much higher intensity level. you get the benefit of a long workout but in a much shorter time!

Anonymous said...

Hi, folks. I know now that winter’s over, everyone will be anxious to plan that summer vacation, and I’m sharing the word about a great and inexpensive vacation idea that includes a sweepstakes. Tennessee promises to be beautiful this summer and I found something called the Pigeon Forge Family Challenge. It’s a sweepstakes to win a $10,000 prize and be one of five families to compete for a chance to become "Pigeon Forge's first reality stars." Here’s a link for more info: http://bit.ly/dXvvNL
Thanks, all!
BD

Anonymous said...

:o)

Post a Comment