Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Rookie Triathlon

This is supposed to be a blog about Momming (is that a word?), swimming, biking and running.  Well, we’ve seen plenty of momming and plenty of running, but where is the swimming and biking?  It’s about time to get my swim and bike on, no?  Enter… The Rookie Triathlon

To be honest, my blog title is a little misleading because I’ve only done ONE triathlon in my whole life.  Now granted, I was scheduled to do two last summer, but due to my accident I wasn’t able to participate.  So, when I heard about The Rookie Tri I figured it was a good way to break back into things. 

The Rookie Tri is a SUPER sprint triathlon meant for, well meant for a rookie, of course.   I should have NO PROBLEM tackling these distances. 

That’s right, 300 M swim, 11 mile bike, and 2 mile run.  It doesn’t help that they put a 10 year old in the picture.  I’m slightly offended.  I’d totally kick his @$$.  Never mind that he’s not in my age group.  Hmph.  Oh and by the way, having to wear your age in sharper marker on your calf is just wrong on so many levels.  Clearly this sport wasn’t started by a woman.  At least they don’t make you put your weight class.  See, always a silver lining! 

My last only other triathlon was a sprint distance triathlon.  The distances were only slightly longer.  It was a 600 M swim, 20K (about 12 miles) bike, and 5K (3.1 miles) run.  I did decent for my first triathlon.  I had no idea how to pace myself and my transitions were a tad slow disaster.  Here are my splits.

triathlon splits

I did this race in July of 2009 and although I was in decent shape,  I think I’m in a lot better shape now.  But, I probably weighed at least 10 15 pounds less then.   This is how I looked weighing a LOT less…

triathlon

Camera adds 50 pounds right?  So pretty much, I’m going to look like a turtle running in a sausage casing.  Note to self:  Remember this picture the next time you put thy food in thy mouth!  Clearly your hips will thank you. 

Nevertheless, I will give it my all and pray for a sub 1:15 and a picture where I don’t look like a Clydesdale more flattering picture. 

Did you click here yet today? 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man ur too funny the whole turtle sausage casing! lol and i think its mommying!

Anonymous said...

:o) xoxox G.

Tri4Success said...

Think your blog title is misleading? My 9yr old is the ONLY family member to have done a triathlon (but that'll change this year)! The Rookie Triathlon sounds great. We have an even shorter one up here that I'll use to get my feet wet (read: swim and transition practice). It's a 250m swim, 8mi bike, 2mi run. Oh, and don't underestimate the 10yr old in the picture. The shorter the bike leg, the less of an advantage we old over his type. Trust me on this one.

Tri4Success said...

That was supposed to be "HOLD over his type", not "OLD over his type."

Ron said...

i need to do one of those...because i HATE swimming!

Ron said...

i need to do one of those...because i HATE swimming!

Tri4Success said...

Think your blog title is misleading? My 9yr old is the ONLY family member to have done a triathlon (but that'll change this year)! The Rookie Triathlon sounds great. We have an even shorter one up here that I'll use to get my feet wet (read: swim and transition practice). It's a 250m swim, 8mi bike, 2mi run. Oh, and don't underestimate the 10yr old in the picture. The shorter the bike leg, the less of an advantage we old over his type. Trust me on this one.

Post a Comment