Monday, April 18, 2011

Sweet Schwinn

I have a really nice road bike.  It’s a Trek 2200 WSD (Women’s Specific Design).  It is lightweight, has carbon forks and is just pretty much bad ass (for a housewife anyway).  I know it’s pink, what? 

bike

When it comes to my mountain bike however, I hang my head in shame.  I’ve had my eye on this bike, but the odds of justifying it are slim to none.  You see, I already have a mountain bike, but up until today when George invested $6, it had no pedals. 

Six or so years ago George “borrowed” them to put on my nephew’s bike.  I never saw them again.  Up until now it never really bothered me because I have been able to ride my road bike when I wanted.  But here in Texas, there are lots of trails and sidewalks where I can’t ride my road bike. 

Enter new pedals.  Enter spiffy Schwinn from Walmart.  I believe this bike cost less than $100. 

bike 

It’s a beaute ain’t it?  I feel like all it needs is a basket full of flowers, it’s not very sporty.  

sdt basket 

Nevertheless, I had to take it for a spin and looked for volunteers to go with.  Who wants to go on a spin around the neighborhood?  I found one willing participant. 

wnt

It was really odd getting used to sitting up straight and I just felt all out of whack.  Let me just tell you, riding a mountain bike is hard and it’s a whole other beast from road biking.  I definitely felt it in my quads even when I wasn’t pedaling hard or uphill. 

All and all it was a good workout to keep me loose after my race yesterday.  I hoped Nicholas would last a half hour and he didn’t disappoint. 

Mountain Bike Ride:

  • Mile 1:  6:44
  • Mile 2:  6:45
  • Mile 3:  6:58
  • Mile 4:  7:14
  • Mile 5:  6:28
  • Mile 5.42:  7:25

Total:  37:18:66

Average:  6:53 Minute mile or 8.9 MPH

Nicholas had a blast out there.  At one point he told me, “Hey, you’re going pretty fast for pedaling so slow.”  Thanks kid, you know how to make an old lady feel good.  Even so, I’m looking forward to many more mountain bike rides with this kid.  I think he’s alright! 

sdt wnt2 only showing about 6 months preggers in this one vs my usual 9

Don’t forget to click here once a day! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think u might be right! I rode one of Jeremys boys new Diamondback mountain bikes yesterday (Schweet!) and I think u might have a dung beetle on ur hands there! lol

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, a riding partner that won't say "diet"! Sweet!! xoxoxox G.

Ron said...

i picked up a new mtn bike last year...but i am not much of a road biker. I prefer the trails and have plenty close to home. I went Cannondale 29'er. If you ever look at new mtn bikes definitely test ride a 29" bike the wheels look huge! but they actually make the bike faster and easier to ride. although that trek you like is pretttty sweet. (tell george you want it for a mothers day present ;)

Tri4Success said...

Ah, the Walmart Schwinn - bikes heavy enough to give you a workout at any speed! If you're just using it around the neighborhood and not over any particularly gnarly terrain then I highly recommend putting less knobby tires on (for the kid too). Tires are cheap and can up the ride enjoyment a lot! Keep it up!

Triathlon Benchwarmer said...

I am planning my first triathlon in a bout a month and will be riding it on a mountian bike! Scary, but hey I have the bike and dont have the money for a road bike.....should be fun! Figure building up the speed and endurance on a mountain bike will only make a road bike that much faster, right?

Triathlon Benchwarmer said...

I am planning my first triathlon in a bout a month and will be riding it on a mountian bike! Scary, but hey I have the bike and dont have the money for a road bike.....should be fun! Figure building up the speed and endurance on a mountain bike will only make a road bike that much faster, right?

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, a riding partner that won't say "diet"! Sweet!! xoxoxox G.

Post a Comment