Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wardrobe Malfunction

Yesterday I got the bright idea to do a long run today.  You see, I made a commitment to myself to always be half marathon ready.  Meaning any day of the week I could just go out and run a half without any training. 

Well it’s been 3 weeks since Rock N Roll Dallas Half Marathon and I haven’t run more than 6 miles since then. 

finish sdt

So I set out today to do 10 miles.  Sure I’m minus 2 toenails since then, but what else has really changed?  Oh you are so naïve MomSwimBikeRun, soooooooo naïve. 

I wasn’t more than a half mile into my run before I realized that I was running on TIRED legs.  I didn’t think The Rookie Triathlon had affected me so much, but obviously it had.  My legs were heavy and they did NOT want to run.  Yes, you heard me correctly this realization came at mile 0.5. 

A smart person would have turned back and called it a day.  I am not that person.  I had set a goal to run 10 miles and I was going to do it.  I decided this was “teach yourself how to run on tired legs day”.  Actually that is pretty important.  During longer races your legs don’t always feel fresh and it’s important to know how to run and push through when your legs are telling you to stop. 

At mile 2, however, my legs were not just saying to stop they were screaming in pain.  My ankles hurt so badly.  (I have Achilles Tendonitis).  I stopped for a little stretch.  I even contemplated turning back.  Damn you sheer will and determination.  Winking smile  So I stretched, I moved on (mentally) and decided to dredge on (physically).

stretch

Do I detect  a cankle?  OMG I do!  My feet were swollen from all the running. Yes 2 miles is a lot.

By mile four,  I was hot and still not feeling well.  My ankles did feel better, but now I had another problem.  I was having a wardrobe malfunction. 

self

Note to self:  Wear shorts.  Get chaffed. 

Let me just tell you, inner thigh chaffing is no bueno!  I had to talk myself into continuing out to 5 miles before I turned around.  That voice in my head is a little b*tch and she made me keep moving. 

Long story short.  I made it the ten miles, it wasn’t pretty and I’ve got raw inner thighs to prove it. 

Horrible 10 Miles:

  • Mile 1:  10:51
  • Mile 2: 11:20
  • Mile 3: 11:34
  • Mile 4:  11:26
  • Mile 5: 11:44
  • Mile 6:  12:17
  • Mile 7: 12:05
  • Mile 8: 12:05
  • Mile 9: 11:52
  • Mile 10:  11:56

Total:  1:57:15

Average:  11:43

Tomorrow is another day.  Maybe I’ll attempt 20 miles in knee socks.  Oh wait, I’ve already done that! 

6 comments:

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

what kind of shoes are those? I have this friend who is picky about her running shoes. She wants everything to be cute instead of functional. She'd rather run in a pair of reebok zigtechs at the expense of her knees and shins rather than be seen in a drab pair of running shoes. I'm trying to find her cute AND functional shoes so she doesn't kill her legs.

Anonymous said...

I think I recognize that marker under your feet! At least you "looked" pretty while your inner thighs were disintegrating! You did it, that's what counts. You sure do have determination! Proud of you! xoxoxo G.

K cubed said...

I really think you might be crazy. Running in pain, haven't I taught you better than that.

Anonymous said...

I pushed through 45 minutes of Wii Fit strengthening.....does that count? ugh.
Way to go! But, I'm not sure running w/chafing is a good idea. What happened to "listen to your body?"
xoxo

K cubed said...

I really think you might be crazy. Running in pain, haven't I taught you better than that.

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Wo said...

what kind of shoes are those? I have this friend who is picky about her running shoes. She wants everything to be cute instead of functional. She'd rather run in a pair of reebok zigtechs at the expense of her knees and shins rather than be seen in a drab pair of running shoes. I'm trying to find her cute AND functional shoes so she doesn't kill her legs.

Post a Comment