Friday, May 6, 2011

Dukes, Daisies and Kak’s Fancy Pasta

I’ve been to some lame packet pick ups, but today’s takes the cake.  There was one “old” lady there working the booth at the Run Tex store.  After a brief chat, I found out she was in visiting her daughter for Mother’s Day and she was working the booth while her daughter (who was supposed to be running the booth) was God knows where.  The lady had no idea what she was doing.  She let me pick my bib number which was incredibly odd, but I took the first even number I saw.  Regardless, I got a pretty sweet shirt and I’m bib # 580 for the Dukes and Daisies 5K

dukes and daisies packet pick up

I spent the rest of my day preparing for the big day tomorrow.  What’s the big day you ask?  Why I’ll tell you!  Tomorrow Nicholas is making his first holy communion.  All this means is I had to cook.  Twice in 30 days is getting to be a bit much don’t you think?  Nonetheless, you get an awesome recipe. 

I made this dish for Nicholas’ baptism so I thought it only apropos that I make it for his communion too.  This recipe comes from my Aunt Carol (aka Kak).  She’s fancy schmancy, but this recipe is easy while still looking impressive (by my standards.. not saying much). 

Kak’s Fancy Pasta

Ingredients

  • 3 T Olive Oil
  • 3 Cloves Garlic
  • 1.5 Onions Diced
  • 1.5 lbs Hot Sausage crumbled
  • (3) 14.5 ounce cans tomatoes
  • 3/8 Cup Red Wine
  • 3 T Dried Oregano
  • 3/8 Cup Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
  • 3/4 lb Penne Pasta
  • 12 ounces Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1.5 Cups Parmesan Cheese

Directions

Heat Olive Oil

Add onions and cook until soft (about 5 minutes)

Add garlic and sausage and cook until sausage browns

Kaks Pasta Dish 003Kaks Pasta Dish 004Kaks Pasta Dish 005

Add salt and pepper to taste

Add wine and allow to boil off

Add tomatoes with juices, parsley, oregano and cook for 10 minutes

Kaks Pasta Dish 007

Cook Pasta

Add to sauce

Kaks Pasta Dish 008Kaks Pasta Dish 009

Add mozzarella and 1/2 the parmesan cheeses. 

Kaks Pasta Dish 010

Poor into baking dish and sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese.

Kaks Pasta Dish 013

Bake at 350* for 1 hour or until desired doneness. 

Don’t say I never gave you anything… It’s THAT good.  Obviously I made this tonight and plan on cooking it tomorrow.  It seems to be BETTER if you make it in advance and allow everything to marinate and then cook it.  Great for when you need to prep ahead of time! 

See you tomorrow, come on over, I have cake! 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaahhhh and "Granny's" (second) bowl too! That's the way it HAS to be served. Congrats to Nicholas - what a special boy he is! xoxoxo G.

Ron said...

i'll be on the next flight...i love cake.
lol

CONGRATS NICHOLAS!

Ron said...

i'll be on the next flight...i love cake.
lol

CONGRATS NICHOLAS!

Post a Comment