Monday, May 30, 2011

How-to TuTu

As you all know, I registered for the Flamingo 5k coming up on June 4th.  It’s a race I intend to run with Nicholas.  Julie is going to be running with her son too.  She and I thought, since this is a race supporting women’s health, it would be fun to wear tutus and go girlie at it. 

I thought they’d be easy enough to make.  Well, I’m not sure if this is going to be a how-to or a how-NOT-to make a tutu.  Maybe I just don’t like myself in a tutu.  I feel like a heifer not a ballerina, but I digress. 

How to Make a No-Sew Tutu

Here is what you will need:

  • About 8 yards of tulle
  • 3 yards of satin ribbon
  • Scissors
  • Yardstick 

First cut your tulle into sections of one yard each

cut fabric

Now roll your fabric being sure you’re rolling with the “fold” on the right or left side.  In other words, don’t roll beginning or end with the folded edge as you want to separate the fabric (next step). 

roll

Cut off the edges of both ends (to even and separate layers of tulle). 

cut edges

Next measure and cut 3 inch sections (repeat this process for ALL 8 yards). 

cut 3 inchesBalloon wreath and tutu 031

3 inch rolls

Next get your satin ribbon and measure your waist.  Tie a not to mark the beginning and end leaving all excess hanging to the sides.  (I tied a knot at 1 yard and 2 yards and adjusted as necessary). 

tie ribbon

Unroll your fabric and take one piece at a time.  Fold in half, making a loop at the top. 

loop

Pull loose ends through the loop while securing to the satin ribbon. 

pull end through loop

Pull until tight. 

pull tight

Repeat this process until you’ve filled the area between the two knots (your waist measurement). 

The end result will be VERY full and “poofy”.  It will also be long.

long tutu

I recommend putting ON the tutu and cutting it to your desired length.  I think it is better to start with it long and adjust the length as needed.  You can always go shorter but you can’t make it longer if you’ve gone too short to begin with.  Also, you’ll want the back to be a little longer because if it is the same length all around it appears shorter in the back because of your derriere. 

Here’s my end result.  I’m not overly thrilled, but I think it turned out okay considering this is a no-sew project and I’m a no-sew kind of gal. 

final3

So there you have it.  Either how-to or how-NOT-to make a tutu.  You decide. 

I do know what you SHOULD be doing and that’s voting for me for Top 25 Health and Fitness Mom Blogs at Circle of Moms.  Voting closes June 1st at a time I can’t remember and am too lazy to look up.  Point is, vote now!  Click here and then the thumbs up!  Thanks so much everyone.  I NEED your votes to finish in third place! 

What do you think?  Will I embarrass myself if I wear my homemade tutu or would you go for it? 

5 comments:

amanda@runninghood said...

Love this! I've made a few but the tulle on mine got all wadded up! :( I made them for party favors for the girls at our Tinkerbelle party.

kelly said...

too cute. i definitely say go for it. I have been saying i wanted to make tutus and now I know how. Thanks

heather said...

Looks great. I think you sould totally wear it and have fun.

It is nice to meet you. I am glad I stopped by.

Sarah Westman said...

I think it is fantastic! I am actually making a Disney tutu to wear while on vacation at WDW! And I'm 30 :) And you don't look like a heifer you look wonderful :)

Ima Mosier said...

I just wanted to let you know that I posted a link to this blog post on my blog. Thanks for the instructions. You got me thought the making of my first tutu. http://backofthestampede.blogspot.com/2013/01/week-3-or-princess-huge-taper-week.html?m=1

Post a Comment