Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I Like it, I Love it, I Want Some More of It

As has been typically lately, I set out to do my long run today.  My friend Bianca asked if I wanted to run with her today and I finally said yes.  You see, this isn’t the first time she’s asked, but I have always said no because she is pretty fast.  Even though I knew she was ok at a slower pace, I didn’t want to feel as though I was holding her back.  I’ve been logging a lot of miles lately and have been getting consistently faster so I thought maybe today I could handle the super speedy Bianca (at her slowed down pace). 

Since Bianca doesn’t really know what a crazy blogger I am and I didn’t want to scare her, I didn’t ask her for a picture.  So, I stole one from her Facebook profile.  Blog world, this is the lovely and FAST Bianca.

Yes, yes I know, fast and beautiful (don’t forget skinny).  It makes you kind of not like her, but then she’s too darn nice! Open-mouthed smile  Bianca is one of the very fortunate people to gain entry into the NYC Marathon.  I’m excited for her and to follow her training.  I’m sure you’ll see more of her on the blog as we both train for our upcoming marathons.  

Anyway, I’ll admit when we started out I was scared.  Bianca’s first story during the run was about her tempo run yesterday running 7:50 miles.  Um SH*T, what had I gotten myself into? 

I decided that she wouldn’t be there if she didn’t want to be and I knew she’d let me control the pace.  I told her I felt comfortable running a 10:30 pace for 10 miles.  “No problem,” she said, as I glanced down and saw our 9:46 pace. 

It didn’t take long and we were settled into a good, more comfortable, pace.  I was feeling surprisingly well, but definitely working hard.  By the way, Bianca was barely breathing hard and I don’t think she broke a sweat until mile 6. 

10 Miler

  • Mile 1:  10:08
  • Mile 2:  10:03
  • Mile 3:  10:10
  • Mile 4:  10:12
  • Mile 5: 10:21 -----> Three sport beans (should have had more)
  • Mile 6:  10:18
  • Mile 7:  10:28 -----> The HILL!!!
  • Mile 8: 10:07
  • Mile 9:  10:21
  • Mile 10:  9:54 -----> SHUT UP! 

Total:  1:42:08

Average:  10:12

Average HR:  174  YIKES!!!!! (max heart rate hit was 192.. two steps from death Winking smile)

10 mile time

I will tell you it felt good to prove to myself that I could go “fast”.  I just have to be willing to push myself.  Pushing yourself to be uncomfortable is the hard part, but I want to do more!  

This is my fastest run in almost a year (when I ran the Pittsburgh half marathon in May 2010).  Do I detect a little bit of my former self peeking through?  Perhaps!  I like it! 

Pittsburgh half marathon 2010

Me running Pittsburgh 1/2 Marathon, my fastest long run ever.  9:53 pace for 13.1

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oxygen depravation has clearly affected you! You are an amazing athlete and I have learned far more from you than you realize. You have motivated me and I look forward to all your coaching, advice, support and friendship as I head into my first marathon.
-Bianca

Tri4Success said...

Sounds like you should run with Bianca more often! Great job.

lolzthatswim said...

I'm in love with your blog. You are seriously hilarious. I cannot wait to read more girl. Awesome run! I love running with other people.

Selfish Mommy said...

this sounds EXACTLY how I feel w/my best bud and running partner. She is amazingly FAST! She also runs mostly sub 8 min miles. When we started running I was at the 10ish mark, so running with her will really push you! She helped me to become the runner I am today. Allow yourself the partner and know that you will catch up and get better!

Anonymous said...

See - you are an ispiration to Bianca too. Nice job!! xoxoxo G.

Ron said...

awesome!!! gotta push yourself if you ever want to get better !!

Ron said...

awesome!!! gotta push yourself if you ever want to get better !!

lolzthatswim said...

I'm in love with your blog. You are seriously hilarious. I cannot wait to read more girl. Awesome run! I love running with other people.

Anonymous said...

Oxygen depravation has clearly affected you! You are an amazing athlete and I have learned far more from you than you realize. You have motivated me and I look forward to all your coaching, advice, support and friendship as I head into my first marathon.
-Bianca

Post a Comment