Monday, May 2, 2011

Is There a Doctor in the House?

Today’s workout was a 6 miler with the jogger.  You’ve seen this before.  There was me, there was Julie, there was Jack, there was huffing and puffing.  That is all. 

jkh jttjtt sdt2

Not today

6 Mile Run

  • Mile 1:  11:54
  • Mile 2: 12:20
  • Mile 3: 13:34
  • Mile 4: 12:05
  • Mile 5: 12:11
  • Mile 6: 11:16

Total:  1:13:26

Average:  12:14

Something has really been bothering me a lot lately.  Y’all know me on the blog as a mom, a runner, etc., but there are other things about me that you might not know.  For instance, I once wanted to be a dental hygienist, and at another time an actuary.  In spite of my wide array of majors I did wind up settling on one and finally stuck with something.  In April of 2001 (10 years ago YIKES) I graduated with a Doctorate of Pharmacy degree. 

That’s right folks, I’m a pharmacist, but I’ve been in retirement.  I worked full-time up until after Ella was born.  I actually worked part-time (20 hours a week) up until May of 2010. 

So when we moved to Texas, I felt like I lost a little piece of me.  I feel like I worked so long and hard to get my degree.  (For those of you that don’t know, a Pharmacy degree is a doctorate and takes 6 years to complete.)  Pharmacy school wasn’t easy and entry into school was even harder.  I fought tooth and nail for 2 years to get my grades pristine in order to be accepted.  So to sit back now and not use my degree makes me feel like I am wasting an opportunity that I worked so hard for.  Plus I’m a damn good pharmacist.  Winking smile 

So I made the decision today! 

texas state board of pharmacy

I’m taking the steps necessary to get licensed to practice pharmacy in the great state of Texas.  It looks like it is a lot of paper work and quite a long process (6 weeks).  Oh and don’t forget I have to pass the Texas Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination.  Have no fear because I have passed this exam twice before—once upon graduation (for Maryland licensure) and once when we moved to back to Pennsylvania. 

But don’t you worry I’m not going full-time at it.  More like, work when and if I feel like it.  So there will still be plenty of

Swim

sdt swim2

Bike

sdt bike 

Run

sdt run3

Wish me luck!

Updated to add: Officially started this LONG process and now realize, in addition to a lot of time and effort, it’s going to cost me $810. Yippee! 

Click here to Vote for me on TopMommyBlogs

12 comments:

Angie F. said...

WOOT! So happy for you, I think this can be nothing but a great thing for you. XOXOXO

Tyly said...

Congratulations on a very exciting decision!

A-Nik said...

Good for you!!! "Work when you want" is a great concept!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What a great decision that you will not regret.
xoxo

Amanda said...

6 miles with the stroller?! You go girl! I pushed my twins 3 miles this weekend and I nearly died.

Anonymous said...

That's great. Good Luck! One more thing to concentrate on - how do you do it? xoxoxo G.

Hilary said...

Yay for you, for going after it again!

Tri4Success said...

Mom Swim Bike Run Medicate ...... I like it.

Shannon said...

That's pretty awesome! I toyed with the idea of going back to school for Pharmacy, but decided it was going to take me forever and instead I'm working on my MBA - ha!!! Two totally different fields!

Shannon said...

That's pretty awesome! I toyed with the idea of going back to school for Pharmacy, but decided it was going to take me forever and instead I'm working on my MBA - ha!!! Two totally different fields!

A-Nik said...

Good for you!!! "Work when you want" is a great concept!!

Angie F. said...

WOOT! So happy for you, I think this can be nothing but a great thing for you. XOXOXO

Post a Comment