Sunday, May 1, 2011

Let the Speed Work Begin

Today Julie and I set out on the open super windy road to do 20 miles.  That is the longest distance since the infamous crash!  It felt good to get out on my bike and do a longer distance and add in some hills.  The way out (tailwind) was pretty easy.  So the way back (headwind) was just cruel and unusual. 

sdt

I’m so proud of Julie.  She is always up for a challenge.  Today was the 4th (?) time on her bike and she tackled 20 miles.  That’s a brave undertaking for a newbie and she never batted an eyelash.  Granted when she left the house she told her husband to pray for her, but that’s neither here nor there.

jkh2

No prayers needed!

20 Mile bike:

Time:  1:46  Average  11.4 mph

So what’s on tap for the week?  I forgot to mention that I registered for the Dukes and Daisies 5K.  Or did I?  I don’t remember!  The point is I’m freaking out.  To be honest, I rather be running a half marathon on Sunday.  5Ks are so much pressure.  I should also mention that I’ve only done an official 5K 3 times.  My times are less than impressive.  My fastest (PR) is 29:29. 

results

I feel so much pressure to improve.  So the theme of this week is SPEED WORK (I used to be so good at speed work, but I’ve fallen waaaaaaaay off the wagon).  Not sure when I’m going to fit that in since I have a date with the jogger tomorrow, long run on Tuesday and plan to take off Wednesday to clean.  Speed work with the jogger can always work.  Remember this?  Regardless, I’m going balls to the wall to try not to embarrass myself during this race.  All I can do is give it all I’ve got! 

Go ahead and toot your own horn.  What is your 5K PR? 

6 comments:

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

My newly acquired PR was earned yesterday, and is 30:57. Yeah, its slow by 5k standards, but not slow for someone who was considered morbidly obese just 4 months ago! TOOT TOOT!!

Anonymous said...

My personal 5K? 5 chocolate chip cookies at once! xoxoxo G.

Ron said...

I will probably never see my 5K PR ever again in my lifetime. I ran a sub 18 (17:59 if my memory serves me) In my senior year of highschool. I would be lucky to run a 24 or 25 now.

Selfish Mommy said...

The DIVA 5k in Pflugerville coming in at 26min 11 sec which made for 8 min 15 sec miles! I am registered for the Dukes & Daisies as well! Maybe we'll meet!

http://mommacox.wordpress.com/

Selfish Mommy said...

The DIVA 5k in Pflugerville coming in at 26min 11 sec which made for 8 min 15 sec miles! I am registered for the Dukes & Daisies as well! Maybe we'll meet!

http://mommacox.wordpress.com/

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Wo said...

My newly acquired PR was earned yesterday, and is 30:57. Yeah, its slow by 5k standards, but not slow for someone who was considered morbidly obese just 4 months ago! TOOT TOOT!!

Post a Comment