Tuesday, May 10, 2011

There’s No Need to Feel Down

Today I woke up wanting to work out, but not wanting to put in the effort.  I wanted the good feeling of having exercised, but I didn’t want to have to do the work.  I had an internal battle with myself about going. 

I did make it to the trail and proceeded to sit in my car for five minutes trying to talk myself into going for my run.  I hit the bathroom—still no motivation.  I actually contemplated getting back in my car and driving home. 

I don’t know how, but I stepped foot on the trail and I started “running”.   Not more than a few hundred yards into my run I met my friend.  I named him Henry.  Isn’t he good looking? 

SNAKE

I should have known this would be an indication of what my run would be.  My run was terrible.  I couldn’t even run and I can’t tell you why.  I don’t know if it was physical or if I was just talking myself into the fact that it was physical as to not make myself feel badly.  Whatever it was, all cylinders were NOT firing, but I managed to stumble through a very miserable three miles. 

Miserable Three Walk/Jog:

  • Mile 1:  11:13
  • Mile 2:  11:53
  • Mile 3:  11:29

Total:  35:38:25

Average:   11:29

Putting that behind me, I decided to make a BIG change in my life.  I’m going from this…

to this.

ymca 002

Lifetime is an awesome gym, it really is, but it just wasn’t working for me.  I was paying over a hundred dollars a month to use their treadmill and weights.  I was missing being able to take part in the group fitness classes.  I wasn’t able to participate, either because the classes didn’t appeal to me or the ones I was interested in didn’t fit my schedule. 

I’m excited I joined the Y.  I have a “lot” of friends that belong there and I feel like I’ll be able to get back to working out with friends and taking advantage of the classes I love. 

Expect to see a LOT of Bodypump in my training.

During my training for the Pittsburgh half marathon last May I did Bodypump twice a week. I feel like it brought about a dramatic change in my body and made a big difference in my running as well.  I hope that I can do Bodypump two to three times a week while training for the marathon and I’m not gonna lie, I hope to get my “guns” back. 

Pittsburgh half marathon 2010

Everybody now… It’s fun to train at the Y-M-C-A, It’s fun to train at the Y-M-C-A.  Ok I’ll shut up now.  No I won’t. 

Young man, there’s no need to feel down, I said young man pick yourself up off the ground…. hmm hmm hmmm ha hmmm hmm hmm hmm.  I don’t know the words (find your inner Village Person).

It’s fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A, It’s fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.  Ok I’m really shutting up this time. 

Tomorrow I spin! 

13 comments:

Tyly said...

If I came across that snake, I would have FREAKED out. I'm such a weenie.

Your guns look amazing in that picture, and I can't believe you were paying that much for a gym membership!!! Hopefully you'll be happier at the Y. I love my group fitness classes!

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Woman said...

holy. crap. you paid over $100 a month?! And I though LA Fitness was overpriced! I hope you were getting like free massages and peeled grapes with that!

MomSwimBikeRun said...

I paid WELL over $100. I was used to it b/c I belonged to Oxford when I lived in Pittsburgh. I don't mind paying that much for an awesome gym if I can use EVERYTHING they have to offer.

Anonymous said...

That snake would have sent ME back to the car = absolutely!! Have fun at the "Y" - did you get a family membership? xoxoxo G.

Chunky Monkey said...

I just switched my membership over to the YMCA. Loving it so far. Last night they sent me $25 Y bucks and a free friend pass. Whoo Hoo!

Kara said...

I am not a fan of running across snakes! I have runs just like you described (dreading the "working" part) but you're awesome for still getting 3 miles done!

Tracey said...

Good for you. I wish the Y was closer to me- I would join in a heartbeat.

The Sweetest said...

I often have runs where I feel like I am plodding along with legs of lead. It just makes the good runs seem that much better, even if they are few and far between. I also go to the Y where I live- it's so laid back.

Ron said...

sweeet snake, you should have brought him home for nicholas to have a new pet :)

The Sweetest said...

I often have runs where I feel like I am plodding along with legs of lead. It just makes the good runs seem that much better, even if they are few and far between. I also go to the Y where I live- it's so laid back.

Kara said...

I am not a fan of running across snakes! I have runs just like you described (dreading the "working" part) but you're awesome for still getting 3 miles done!

Chunky Monkey said...

I just switched my membership over to the YMCA. Loving it so far. Last night they sent me $25 Y bucks and a free friend pass. Whoo Hoo!

Amanda @ Diary of a Mad Fat Wo said...

holy. crap. you paid over $100 a month?! And I though LA Fitness was overpriced! I hope you were getting like free massages and peeled grapes with that!

Post a Comment