Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Change Your Mind

Today I FINALLY agreed to meet Bianca for an EARLY morning run.  She usually runs with a group of girls at 5:30 am, but I convinced her 6:30 was early enough. 

bc

Bianca lives in a gorgeous neighborhood plagued by the dreaded hill.  I knew I was going to have to run it and I’ll admit, it intimidated me. 

grand mesa hill

Pictures never seem to do hills justice, but trust me when I tell you this thing is a BEAST.  Bianca runs this hill all the time with her friends and she told me not to expect to run the whole thing.  She let me know that I’d probably have to do a combination walk/run.  Well if you know me at all then you know her saying that was all it took to make me decide I HAD to RUN the whole thing. 

Ok well I may not have “run” per se, but I did jog, albeit very slowly, the WHOLE thing and I almost died.  This hill isn’t the only hill either, there were a few more small but challenging hills.  Despite the challenges, I made it 4.01 miles in 45 minutes.  That’s an 11:11 pace.

4 hilly miles

I know Bianca didn’t mean anything when she told me to expect to walk/run the hill.  It was only my own stubbornness (I guess) that made me say to myself, “You WILL run the whole hill.”   I do know one good thing about myself and that is, my mind is stronger than my body. 

There is nothing I think I can’t do with time and effort.  I CAN run a marathon.  I CAN set a PR at San Antonio in November.  I CAN do and be anything I want to be.  I can, not because I will it to happen, but because I am determined, I train and I don’t let anyone or anything stand in my way. 

YOU can do it too.  You just have to believe in yourself.  Change your mind to believe in yourself and your body will follow.  Even uphill!

grand mesa hill2

7 comments:

G. said...

Whew! xoxxo G.

tracey smith said...

Great post. Holy hill! You are an inspiration.

Fancy Nancy said...

Well said!!!! You can rock it and you WILL!!!

My running buddy lives on a huge hill too! It's my least favorite part of the run but she bullies....I mean makes me run to the top!!!

Rain Gowens said...

Isn't it funny how a picture can't capture how bad a hill really is? I have a hill where I run and when I look at it or try to capture it in a picture it looks like I am exaggerating, but that hill kicks my butt! Glad you didn't stop! It's usually all mental when it comes to hills, you just can't give up!

Ronald Obringer said...

no truer words have been spoken on this blog susan...hills are the most intimidating thing in all of running. Our coaches in high school used to tell us that races are won on the uphills. pass as many people as you can and squash their will to get up that hill. and you have them beat!

XLMIC said...

Awesome! Setting the intention and making it happen :) Go get that PR!

Tri4Success said...

You are 100% correct. You CAN do all those things and more!

Post a Comment