Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I’m a Runner II

This is the second post in the I’m a Runner series.  Missed the first post?  Check it out here.  These posts are inspired by the I’m a Runner series in Runner’s World magazine.  Basically, when I write this post it means nothing else eventful has happened in my day.  You’re welcome, in advance. 

Susan Tirch

36, Leander, TX

Ever since I started running I’ve been living off the runner’s high.  If you haven’t experienced it then you’re missing out.  Basically after you finish a run, usually a really great run, you feel this immense feeling of accomplishment and an “I can conquer the world” mentality.  This same feeling has also happened to me while shopping.  What?  I like shoes! 

I hit my running groove in May of 2010.  I had only started running about eight months prior.  I was lean less chubby and easily maintaining a sub 10:00 minute pace for longer distances.  Shortly thereafter I experienced my accident and since then I haven’t been able to achieve the same success.  It makes me sad, but then I run (or shop) and I get happy again. 

finish

One of my favorite things about running is time spent with my girlfriends.  Sure I love getting out there just me and my music, but there’s nothing like a long run to open of the hearts and minds of my girlfriends. 

ts sdt3jlj sdtsdt di2jkh sdt

bc tc sdt after

In June 2010 I fractured my shoulder and my wrist in a biking accident and then later in the year developed Kidney stones.  Many of you know this story, but for those who don’t, I had 5 operations in 2010 between July and December. 

Despite my setbacks, I trained for and ran a Half Marathon and my first Full Marathon in December of 2010 and February of 2011, respectively. 

decker challenge3sdt

Ever since my Marathon I haven’t been able to forget the pain and honestly doing another one scares me.  Not one to shy away from a challenge, I’m registered to run Rock n Roll San Antonio this November.  My only hope is to finish in under 4:58:20 (my time for Livestrong Austin Marathon).

I don’t run every day of the week.  I also enjoy cycling, spinning, swimming and strength training.  I never thought I’d be that person who enjoys working out.  What can I say?  Endorphins make you happy. 

This year my goal was to do 12 races in as many months.  So far I’ve completed 5 races. (You can read about them here, here, here, here and here).  With 4 more races already registered and paid for, I don’t think I’ll have a problem hitting 12. 

bling sdtfinish sdtsdt almost finishedsdt bike3wnt sdt

I take my garmin on every outdoor run, yet sometimes I wish I’d just leave it behind.  I’d like not to worry about pace, heart rate, average pace, distance and time and just do what feels good and honestly not care about being better or faster.  

garmingarmingarmin

I am Susan Tirch and I am a Runner! 

What is it about you that makes you a runner? 

5 comments:

amanda@runninghood said...

You have some GREAT race photos Susan!

Ronald Obringer said...

your projected run for this week, is to go out to somewhere fun to run, the woods, the trails, whatever there is in tx where you have an approximate idea of distance covered. Go run without your garmin, and have fun with it like a little kid. In fact, take Nicholas and chase him through the trails.

Susan Tirch said...

Trust me there are plenty of bad ones. Somehow those don't make it on the blog. hahaha Thank you!

Tri4Success said...

Compromise and use the "tape over the Garmin display" trick. That way you don't see the numbers to influence your run but you still capture the data for later analysis (or if you track your training load).

Carrie said...

I totally smiled at your 'conquer the world' comment. So true and what keeps me going on harder runs. When I'm done, it feels so fantastic. Keep up the hard work.

Post a Comment