Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Twinkies Aren’t for Everyone

My brother is one of the funniest people you’ll ever meet.  Not funny in a stand-up comedian kind of way, but funny in he’ll zing you and you won’t even know what to say kind of way. 

He’s also very highly intelligent.  In fact, he’ll say things sometimes and I’ll think to myself, not only are we not on the same page, but we’re not even in the same book.  Actually, not even the same library.  He makes me feel dumb, but I digress. 

More important than his wits and intelligence is his commitment to his family.  My brother is married to an amazing woman named Amy (who we went to high school with).  She’s probably one of my favorite people on the planet. They’ve been together slightly less time than George and I, so almost 16 years. 

Together they make a great couple, balancing one another out.  They have 2 children Genna, age 17 (Tim is her step father) and Jaclyn, age 4.  Imagine having a HIGHLY involved 17 year old AND a 4 year old.  I can’t even wrap my head around that kind of busy, but Tim is a committed father and plays an active role in both Genna’s and Jaclyn’s lives. 

The point of this post, however, is NOT to tell you what a funny, smart, family man my brother is.  The point is to let you know how proud I am of his new found success. 

Over the past several years, my brother has tried a few different forms of exercise and diets.  Jalking (jog/walking), being on a rec volleyball team, and OMG, the Twinkie diet (don’t ask).  The point is, nothing really worked for him and he didn’t stick with it. 

So, when my brother told me he wanted to buy a bike I thought it was just something he was talking about.  Turns out, he not only bought a bike, but really invested in a nice hybrid (The Trek 7.2 FX).  

He logged his first ride just about a month ago, riding 4.79 miles in 25 minutes.  Since then he’s been continually kicking butt, going further and faster with each ride.  

tim dailymile

In a period of one month he went from doing NOTHING to riding 91 miles in one week.  Today he rode at a 14.7 mph pace for 17 miles. 

It just goes to show, running isn’t for everyone.  Volleyball isn’t for everyone.  Twinkies aren’t for everyone.  You have to find out what works for YOU.  There will be trial and error and it may not happen over night, but once you find what works for you, it just works.  You owe it to yourself to find what works.  Don’t give up on you and don’t give up on your health. 

So if you feel like following along on someone else’s “get healthy” journey then go ahead and follow my brother on Dailymile here.  (While you’re at it, hit me up here).  Maybe he’ll inspire you, but if nothing else, he’ll surely make you laugh. 

Congrats Tim, on making your health a priority and setting a great example for your girls! 

Keep up the good work! 

6 comments:

XLMIC said...

That is so awesome for him! What a gift to give both himself and his family :)

Running Mama said...

Good for him!

Jharmon671 said...

Gorgeous family and a very inspirational story!! Yea, Tim!!

Amy @ FitMommas said...

Aw, I really loved this post! I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm not a runner, and almost every single blog I read is running, running, running! Just yesterday morning, I read a post about "doing what works for you!" Yours in the second in as many days. I think I'm a biker at heart, too. Thanks for the inspiration this morning!

Ronald Obringer said...

as long as you aren't posting any spandex pics...:)

way to go tim! keep it up!

Dwayne Hoover said...

i still think that the twinkie diet could have worked...i guess biking is an OK alternative

Post a Comment