Friday, July 22, 2011

Back-to-School Excitement

I have so many fond memories of my childhood.  Really they’re too numerous to mention, but I find myself getting so excited reliving these moments with my own children.  I guess that is normal right? 

When I was young we (my siblings and I) spent most of the summer with my dad.  Because we lived 6 hours away from my dad it was hard for us to see him several times throughout the year, so we made up for it spending the summers with him.  I think back wondering what my mom did the whole time we were gone.  Well, I know she spent a lot of it thinking of us, and planning for us because of what I’d find when I got back from my dad’s. 

I remember going into my room and finding all kinds of things piled on my bed.  New clothes, new tablets, a new Trapper Keeper (!!!) and pencils.  All things back-to-school.  The smell of the new school supplies was intoxicating and I’d get VERY excited to start the new school year. 


But, the new school year couldn’t begin until everyone was fitted with more clothes (of course) and the perfect pair of shoes.  It would take several trips to the mall to make everyone happy, but we’d all get new shoes.  When I was young it was probably just a pair of new sneakers, but I’m sure it was more as I got older.  Nevertheless, there was no wearing the new shoes out of store, no trying them out to go out to dinner, no test run what-so-ever.  Oh no, those shoes were saved for the VERY FIRST day of school and no sooner.  There was only “breaking them in” on the carpet.  I don’t know why, but I liked having to wait.

new shoes

The other day I randomly stopped in a Nordstrom Rack with ALL THREE KIDS.  (Yes, you can call me crazy.)  I had a half hour to kill and it sounded like a good idea.  Between managing three kids and the loss of one Croc, I did find two awesome outfits for Nicholas.  I know, I know, Nicholas?  Not what I would have expected either.  Nicholas is totally into sports and that includes ALL the clothes he wears.  If it’s not sports related in some way, he’s not happy wearing it.  I struggle because I want him to look cute.  With these outfits, I think we both won. 

under armour outfits

I found myself telling him that these were new school outfits and he couldn’t wear them until school started.  It got me excited about the whole back-to-school process. 

Because it’s so hot in Texas, you can’t go out and buy all new fall clothes for the new school year.  Bummer.  Their summer clothes will be just fine for the next few months, but I just wouldn’t feel right if they each didn’t have a few new things to wear.  To me there’s nothing like the first day of school outfit.  It new, it’s fresh and, to be honest, it’s the best you’ll look all year. 

First Day of School 2009 005Moving to TX and First Day of School 012EET at Schooleetjtt2jtt backpack

Maybe I want to back-to-school shop because I want the whole experience for myself as a mom.  Maybe I want to let my own kids lace up their new sneakers to walk around the living room in anticipation of the start of the new year.  Maybe I want to put two fingers in the waistband of my kids’ pants and tug it a little too hard to see if it fits.  Maybe I just want them to be as happy as my mom made me.  Maybe!

Or maybe I’ve just been sniffing the pencils. 

7 comments:

Lisa McCarthy said...

I totally agree. I can't wait to pick out an outfit with Emily and Sarah for their first days of school. I coveted the Trapper Keeper (which my Mom never got for us!) that my friends had. My grandmother always took us shopping for one new outfit for back to school once we were old enough and then we always went out to lunch. Such fun memories! My Mom always took us out to lunch for our 1st day of school, too. I can't wait to start that tradition with Emily in kindergarten this year.

Fancy Nancy said...

I always get giddy when it is time to do back-to-school shopping. Funny thing is that I am a teacher so I can still get new school supplies and back-to-school outfits every year! It's great!

G. said...

This is awesome - remember it like it was yesterday! ENJOY IT!!! xoxo G.

amy_niklaus said...

OMG...Mom and I are in the same room reading your blob and she is over on the couch peeing her pants!! LOL!

Momswimbikerun said...

Thanks for calling it a blob! lol

Juliette Harmon said...

I have very similar memories with back to school- love it!

Ronald Obringer said...

ohhhh i so remember those days...if you were caught outside of the house "breaking in" you new school shoes you were in sooooo much trouble.!!

Post a Comment