Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I’m a Runner III

If you’ve been reading for awhile, you might remember my “I’m a Runner” series.  Who am I kidding?  No one has a clue!  Ok so here’s the deal.  In the back of each issue of Runner’s World magazine there is a feature called I’m a Runner where well known people are interviewed about their running habits.  Since I’m clearly more interesting than these people, I answer the questions too and publish them here for you to see.  You can read I’m a Runner and I’m a Runner II if you’d like.  And because this is obviously very popular I’ll be writing this feature each month from here on out.  You’re Welcome. 

Susan Tirch

Housewife and Runner Extraordinaire, 36, Leander, TX

decker challenge3

When I was 15 I was a sophomore in high school.  I was living in a VERY small town 40 (or so) miles west of Pittsburgh called Wellsville, OH.  I was actually pretty good at running and asked several times by the track coach to join the team.  (Hi Mrs. Boyd!) I never did run track, but I REALLY wish I would have.  I remember during gym class we were asked to complete a mile.  Only 3 girls in my class decided to attempt it.  Guess who came in last?  I remember being so embarrassed of my 8:58 pace (at least that’s how I remember it). 

I run 3 days a week right now and I am following Hal Higdon’s Marathon 3 Training program.  I chose this program because A) I have used Hal Higdon’s programs successfully in the past and B) This programs requires running just 3 days a week.  I was excited about a 3 day a week running program as I thought it would eliminate burn out and hopefully injury. 

You have to be willing to make some sacrifices if you’re going to train for a marathon.   Well, maybe sacrifices isn’t the right word.  I’d say you have to know that not EVERYTHING in your life is going to get done and not everyone is going to have as much time with you as they would like, but training does have to be a priority.  Maybe not #1 (my kids are #1), but definitely no lower than #3. 

kids

In the past, I never would have imagined running a 5k let alone a marathon.  I realize I’m not breaking any land speed records out there, but I have completed FOUR half marathons and one full marathon.  I’m pretty proud of that, not only because of the races themselves, but because of all the hard work and dedication that went into the training for each of the races. 

That said, I want to run faster and beat my previous marathon time.  4:58:19.  So 4:58:18 is the goal.  Anything else is just gravy. 

finish4

I’ll probably do a full ironman some day.  I know it seems crazy and so far out of my reach right now.  I’d never even attempt it with my kids being the ages they are now, but when I’m old and gray I might be looking for something to do.  I want to be that old grandma finishing the ironman.  I want to be an inspiration to the younger generation. 

Until I was 18, I worried more about boys and … ok well just boys, than I did about anything else.  I thought about exercising but when you’re only 115 pounds you’re hardly motivated to get out there and do anything.  I wish I had known then what I know now and my 18 year old self would have been out there kicking some running booty. 

Once (ok 2 or 3 times) I went running, in –4* temperature with my friend Tracey.  People drove by us and we’d laugh imagining what they were thinking about the two crazy ladies running in sub-zero temperatures.  Our hair and eyelashes froze, but I swear we were never cold. 

cold run

It’s hard for me, to accept my personal best.  I’m always proud of my accomplishments not matter how small, but it’s hard to not think I could have done better.  I’m always pushing myself to do more and I feel like I’m slowly inching my way there with each new race.  I’ve always said, I’m the tortoise. 

I was 20 years old, when I met my husband.  It didn’t take long to realize that he was different then most of the boys I had dated.  He treated me the way I should be treated and has been for 16 years.  He’s my biggest supporter and always makes me feel good about myself. 

sdt gpt

My guilty pleasure, is definitely reality TV. We’re talking Real World, Real Housewives,  Jersey Shore, Teen Mom… I could go on and on.  I realize I’m 36 and not 16, but that’s why it’s a guilty pleasure. 

5 comments:

G. said...

:o)

xoxo G.

Amanda Schaefers said...

i love these, btw.

Tracey said...

I love these posts too. And how I wish it was -4 now!

Ronald Obringer said...

i appreciate the susan wit...always makes me laugh. ps...tell george i said that he should make sure to catch the AM sportscenter tomorrow (fri) morning. Irvin Meyer is interviewing Mautai from Penn State about what it is like playing football for JoePA

Jamie H. said...

Really love this! Thanks so much for sharing! I too wish I had taken up running when I was 18...better late than never! ;)

Post a Comment