Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lake Latonka Friendly Frolic 2 miler Race Recap

We arrived in Pittsburgh on Friday and I’ve been having a lot of fun with my family ever since.  Saturday was my nephew’s high school graduation party.  I can’t believe he’s graduating high school.  It seems like he was just a baby and we were shopping for balloons together and I was buying him Disney movies.  NOT any more! 

But before the  party we had to do a little running!  My sister has a lake house in Mercer, PA on Lake Latonka so she decided to have the party there.  Every year the lake holds a slew of 4th of July activities including the 2 mile friendly frolic.  When Amy (my sister) asked me if I wanted to do it, I jumped at the chance to sign up everyone in the family, including my dad, George and Nicholas.  My sister Amy, my nephew Andrew and my niece Abbey all ran too.

gpt wdd wnt

abn afn

runners

Amy didn’t really want to run.  She was making excuses about having to do so much for the party.  You see, she usually runs only on the treadmill in the privacy of her basement.  We finally guilted her into convinced her to go and I know she didn’t regret it. 

abn afn sdt

Everyone had their own speed an agenda.  Andrew would not be beat by any of us.  My dad was shooting for a speedy pace.  Nicholas wanted to beat anyone he could.  George hoped to keep up with Nicholas and Abbey and I promised to stay with Amy. 

abn afn run

The two mile course was an out and back.  It wasn’t long into the race when we saw the first racers coming towards us.  I started looking for Andrew and, sure enough, there was his smiling face. 

abn run

One by one everyone came by.  First, my dad, then Nicholas and then George.  Everyone looked happy and strong and we were still in good spirits heading into the turn around. 

wdd runwnt rungpt run

The two miles went by quickly and Amy only had to stop and walk one time.  I think it was more of a mental break for her than anything.  I was less than 30 seconds, but it was all she needed to finish strong. 

finish3finish2

Here’s the breakdown of our finishing times.

Andrew:  14:30

Dad: 16:10

Nicholas:  19:01

George: 19:22

Abbey, Amy and Me:  24:16

That was good enough for Andrew to finish 20th overall (out of 400 plus racers) and 5th in his age group.  My dad placed second in his age group and both Nicholas and George finished 5th in their age groups.  Too bad only the top 3 finishers medaled; we only took home one among our group. 

wdd medal

This is probably one of all time favorite races.  I had such a great time being out there with my whole family and everyone supporting and encouraging one another.  It was definitely a friendly family frolic and one I won’t forget. 

braids

5 comments:

Ronald Obringer said...

I am most impressed by your dad!! He can still fly!! Way to go Everyone!!

Julie Harmon said...

Yea, all!! Great job, Dad!!

Tracey said...

What a fun family event. Your dad is awesome (as are the rest of you)!

amy_niklaus said...

Had a great time!! Will always do this with you if you come back every year for th 4th!!

Tri4Success said...

Sounds like fun. Cool that the whole family got involved.

Post a Comment