Thursday, July 28, 2011

No Other Way

I was reading a post over on my friend Ron’s blog, which contained a inspirational video about a boy born with Cerebral Palsy and his challenges in life and in running.  You’ll have to click over to Ron’s blog to watch the video (trust me it’s worth it). 

One of the things from the video that struck me was the interviewer’s question at the end of the video.  He said, “What has running given you that you wouldn’t have gotten any other way?” and well, you know me… it got me thinking. 

Running (and nothing else) has given me:

The confidence in knowing that with hard work and dedication ANYTHING is possible. 

sdt surgeryKidney Stone Removal 018sdt finish

June---->October------>February

I never in my wildest dreams thought that I could overcome a fractured shoulder, wrist, AND kidney stones and still run my marathon.  I’ve done a lot of challenging things in my life (Pharmacy School, pregnancy), but crossing the finish line at The Livestrong Austin Marathon was one of my proudest moments.  Not just because I ran 26.2 miles, but because I had gone through so much to get there.  I could have easily given up and had plenty of excuses to do so, but I taught myself a valuable lesson by keeping on running.  I am STRONG and dedicated and that makes me proud. 

The knowledge that wearing knee socks while running is NOT a good idea:

sdt

Every once in awhile you just have to take on for the team.  That team was the 6 time super bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers (I just like saying that) and I wore these socks with pride for 20 miles.  My feet didn’t thank me later, but in all honesty I think it was my shoes NOT the socks.  Nevertheless, I will NOT be taking this chance again. 

The ability to clear your head,  open your eyes and soak in the awesomeness around you:

sky

Sometimes on a run I’ll get into a really good place in my head.  I’ll feel like I can just run and run (think: Forrest Gump).  When I’m not focusing on suffering through a run, my mind clears and I’m able to focus on what REALLY matters.  It’s funny how running can do that for a person, but it’s true.  Nothing opens up my mind like a GOOD run. 

This muscle: sdt muscle 

I love finding new muscles.  Ha!  What can I say?  I’ve never had them before and that one in my quad is from nothing other than running!  Don’t even tell me it’s a shadow or the picture angle.  It’s a muscle!  It’s my story, let me tell it. 

Inspiration for my children: 

run wntwnt5after sdt wnt2

I know that if I hadn’t started running and getting active, that my children wouldn’t have an interest in the same things.  It feels good to know I’m leading my children by example.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m a BIG fan of “do as I say not as I do” but that can only get you so far. 

Running for me used to be synonymous with the word hate.  I never thought I’d be a runner let alone enjoy it.  Running definitely has the ability to give you things like nothing else.  Sure there are days when I hate it, but most days it lifts me up emotionally and physically. 

What has running given to you that nothing else has or if you’re not a runner, what is it for you that is like nothing else? 

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I totally get you! I used to say I hated running, I would never have thought I'd develop a real pleasure for running - but now my life is so much fuller all because of some running shoes and a desire to do something different :)

Ronald Obringer said...

great blog! thanks for the plug:).

Tyly @ One Mile at a Time said...

Great post, and I love the example you're setting for your kids. It makes me think of what you posted the other day when you asked your son if he wanted to run to Kohl's with you, but he said he'd rather ride in the car! Obviously you're a runner if your kid really did think you guys were about to run there!! Haha!

LOVE, LOVE the Steelers socks.

Post a Comment