Sunday, August 28, 2011

Do You Have a Square to Spare

Today has been a LONG day as it started off very early.  The alarm went off at 5:00 am in order to be ready to leave for my long run at 5:30 am.  Bianca picked me up promptly at 5:30 am and we were at the trail and running before 6:00 am.  There were actually stars in the sky.  It was so dark and spooky.  I started telling Bianca tales of the Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity.  She was not amused.  She used her flashlight ap to help scare away the Boogie Man. 

17 miles bc flashlight

Obviously a very high quality photo from my droid in the PITCH black

Before we knew it though, we were 4 miles into our run and the sun was slowing making it’s way over the horizon.

17 miles sunrise

It is a pretty awesome experience to be running as day breaks.  It’s so peaceful and I can’t help but think of the dawning of something new—not just a new day but a new distance during this training program and a new opportunity to show myself I’m strong and capable. 

Shortly after 7:00 am we were almost seven miles into our run and had hit the end of  the trail.  It seems like it should be the half way point, but now that our mileage has climbed there were still ten miles left to do today.  Nevertheless, Bianca and I were happy to see this turn around point. 

17 miles sdt trail end17 miles bc trail end

Twins (not on purpose)

We made our way back to the lake on the trail where we do the one mile loop enough times (in this case 4) until there are only 3 miles left and we can head back to the car.  At this point I had a problem that was two fold.  A)  I had some “business” to take care of and B) my feet were killing me. 

The first was easier to take care of than the second and I hit the park bathroom.  It wasn’t until AFTER I’d “taken care of business” that I realized there was no toilet paper.  I had flashes of Elaine Benes from Seinfeld only there was no one to ask to spare a square.  Just when I thought I’d have to yell for Bianca (I don’t know what I thought she’d do) someone came into the bathroom.  I asked if there was a square to spare from the other stall and she was horrified to let me know there wasn’t.  Instead she brought me about 700 paper towels.  Situation resolved.  Dignity intact.  Whew.. that was close. 

I really don’t know what’s going on with my feet, but I’m starting to think that my shoes just aren’t working out for me anymore.  Perhaps my gait has changed (AGAIN) and what has worked in the past isn’t going to work for me anymore.  I’m also considering that I need a wider toe box or better  (thinner) socks.   Any suggestions for socks? I’ll take them!  I’m going try to change my socks for now, as that is the cheapest solution and then I’ll troubleshoot from there.  I have a feeling it’s more than just my socks, however, because my poor toes are tender to the touch.  In case you’re wondering, my shoes are brand new and a FULL size bigger than my normal shoe size.  I’m really frustrated as I just want shoes that fit, don’t hurt, won’t cause my toenails to fall off and don’t cause me blisters. 

I just put the pain of my feet in the back of my mind as Bianca and I finished our last loops of the lake and headed back to the car. 

17 miles shadows

Here’s the breakdown of our run: 

17 miles splits

I was so happy with our average pace being below 11 minutes.  Ok barely but under is under and I’ll take it.  It makes me think my goal for the marathon may be attainable. 

It it weren’t for my feet, I definitely would have had a lot left in the tank today.  I feel like I fueled appropriately (I had 2 Gus and a pack of Honey Stinger chews) and getting out early really helped with the heat.  I don’t know that I could have done 9.2 more TODAY, but I know as training builds so will my confidence.  I can run this marathon! 

The day ended with a girls’ night out at Cheesecake Factory to celebrate both mine and Bianca’s birthday.  Crystal (Bianca’s friend and neighbor who I had the pleasure of meeting the first time this evening), Julie, Joelle, Bianca and I enjoyed a night of laughs and good food.  It was a perfect end to the day. 

sdt jajkh bc chs

I feel truly blessed to have such wonderful ladies in my life.  You ladies all mean so much to me and I’m incredibly thankful for you all.  I don’t want to get all emotional, but we were brought together for a reason (and it wasn’t to run a marathon).  Thank you for your friendship.  I definitely do NOT take it for granted. 

Now I sleep! 

3 comments:

G. said...

Nice run, nice day - they are lucky too! xoxo G.

Ronald Obringer said...

sock wise I really Like Feetures running socks and I also wear asics running. the asics are VERY VERY thin, and very snug. The feetures are a slight bit thicker, but that helps to pad your feet a bit, they are both great choices.

DiaryofaMadFatWoman said...

i forgot to mention... you should try "Blister Shield" powder. Its a powder made from ground wax. You put it in your socks and it coats your feet. You can't feel it, but it prevents friction and absorbs moisture. I was having blister issues. The people at Elite suggested a thicker sock for me (I was wearing really thin socks) and the blister shield. Now I haven't had any blisters, or even sore pre-blister spots. Plus, its only $10. Also - for thin socks I was wearing Sof Sole brand that I got at Elite.

Post a Comment