Friday, August 5, 2011

Going With the Flow

I feel like I am in such a rut.  After our vacation during the first two weeks in July I haven’t been able to get back on track.  On vacation I just got lazy and really have no excuse for my lack of exercise other than I really just wanted to relax.  I had fun skiing and swimming and forgot about most of my workouts.

4th of July weekend 2011 7064th of July weekend 2011 7074th of July weekend 2011 708

The first week after vacation was over I hopped right back on the workout train, but every workout felt like a chore and not very enjoyable.  The heat, even first thing in the morning, is unbearable and the treadmill makes water boarding seem pleasant.

temperature

After that came vacation bible school.  I volunteered every morning for 3 hours during my workout time.  Yes there was plenty of time left in the day to get it in, but I was too lazy to get it done. 

Random VBS 005

Last week we had out of town guests and again I decided to enjoy the time spent with my friends and didn’t worry about my workouts.  I got in my long run and some speed work, but the whole rest of the week was a waste.

bess bistro all

I’ve been keeping track of my workouts since marathon training began.  I keep all my workouts in a spreadsheet and highlight the workout if I was able to complete what was on my training plan.  Here’s what July looks like. 

july training

Out of 28 planned workouts, I was able to complete 8.  That doesn’t mean I didn’t workout at all for some of the planned workouts, but I didn’t meet my planned goal.  I feel pretty pathetic. 

I’ve even been questioning why I’m doing this marathon in the first place.  It’s kind of a scary place to be because I want to feel good about my training and want to be excited to run and complete the marathon. 

bling sdt

Never fear, I’m not ready to throw in the towel.  You didn’t think I would did you?  I’m ready to suck it up and get focused.  I’m ready to stop making excuses, stop letting obstacles get in my way and just do it. 

If I get to marathon day and haven’t done my training I’m certainly going to regret it, but come November I’ll never regret putting in the miles during these hot months either in the heat or on the treadmill.  It is what it is, I just have to deal. 

I know marathon training takes hard work and dedication and I know during training there will be ebbs and flows.  I’m declaring a flow into this coming week, starting with 15 miles on Sunday, without a complaint. 

4 comments:

XLMIC said...

Love those water-skiing pics! Look at you, getting UP! Awesome!

Sounds like you've had such a busy, busy time... but your resolve and determination are going to get you ready for this marathon for sure :)

G. said...

Once again you amaze!!! xoxxo G.

Ronald Obringer said...

go rock the miles on sunday!!

tracey smith said...

Good for you! It's okay to take it easy sometimes. And, you still have at least three months until your marathon. Hope your 15 goes well- I will be out there doing the same tomorrow. Wish we were together!

Post a Comment