Saturday, August 27, 2011

Slow and Steady

I didn’t blog last night because I was in a food coma.  If you’ve been around here long enough then you know, I like to complain about my body all the time, exercise 6 days a week and then undo all my hard work by eating a shit ton of bad food. 

In my defense, last night was “free family Friday” at the YMCA.  That means George and I got 4 hours of FREE babysitting at the Y and we took advantage of it (and plan to monthly from here on out).  We headed to Maggiano’s to celebrate my birthday.  Here are my eats. 

maggianos

This doesn’t even include the wine I drank.  That’s almost 3 days of calories!  Clearly I have issues, especially since I’m in a contest to lose weight right now! 

I told you I would talk about the Fit Challenge.  Basically, Julie and I entered into a 10 week contest to see who could lose the most weight.  Every 2 weeks we have a weigh in and the winner (by greatest % of body weight lost) gets a $10 gift card to their place of choice.  At the end of 10 weeks the ultimate winner gets a $50 gift card. 

tj maxx

Well, it has been six weeks since we started and I have lost 5.8 pounds.  I have won 2 or the 3 weigh-ins (thankyouverymuch) and every week I have lost something.  Sure it’s not a tremendous amount of weight, but it averages to almost a pound a week and I am pretty satisfied with that.  Obviously, I would love it to be more, but I am also realistic. 

I realize that I’m not going to pass up nights like Maggiano’s.  I mean look at my date… Open-mouthed smile

Last night’s dinner was a conscious decision that I made and one that, quite honestly, I don’t feel badly about.  Let’s face it, I’m not obese, I don’t have any current health issues so if I want to be indulgent then I feel like I can.  Clearly I don’t eat like this every day of the week.  My hope is that more days are good than bad and the numbers on the scale will keep moving down. 

HAPPY SCALE

I’m really only looking to lose another 4 to 5 pounds.  It’s not that I wouldn’t like to weigh less, it’s just that I know it is a lot of effort and sacrifice for ME (MY BODY) to stay below that weight.  I want to be able to enjoy my food and celebrate special occasions with the delicious food I love.  I know some people probably don’t understand celebrating with food or the fact that food really makes you happy, but for me it does. 

I guess it doesn’t really matter if I’m 200 pounds or 100 pounds, I’m probably always going to find flaws with my body.  I think it’s part of a woman’s nature to do that (or most women anyway).  Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not saying it is right, but I’m saying that knowing I’ll never be satisfied no matter what the scale reads has lead me to be more realistic with my weight loss goals. 

So if I lose .8 pounds a week until the end of the contest then so be it.  That’s still 3.2 more pounds than if I wasn’t trying to do anything at all. 

My weight loss is much like my running.  There are good days and bad, there are days when you love it and days where you hate it.  In fact, there are days where you ask yourself why you’re doing it at all.  However, in the end your hard work and efforts ALWAY pay off and leave you feeling satisfied.  So what if it takes you longer than the next guy to get there.  Maybe I’m stopping and eating the fettuccini alfredo smelling the roses.  After all, doesn’t slow and steady win the race? 

3 comments:

G. said...

......be kind to youself in all ways! So very glad you are taking time to be with your hubby ALONE too! Special times! xoxoxo G.

MiDLiFe CrUiSeR said...

Nothing to feel guilty about. Food is one of the biggest pleasures in life because it's one of the only things you can do with ALL your senses. I've have a deep love of food my whole life. Food is a way of showing love to me, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes, and as long as we are healthy and strong, then what's the big deal with looking a "certain" way. Women were made to be soft and curvy. Only recently have we thought having abs and a super lean body looks good. And that makes it a fight against what nature intended.

Counting calories and restricting myself around something I love so much did bad things to my self esteem. I quit cold turkey. Now I eat what I want, bought new clothes, exercise when I feel like it, and the payoff is NOT a super lean look, but a LOVE for myself.

THAT makes happy!

Ronald Obringer said...

that dinner looks really good...i'll take 2.

Post a Comment