Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Laugh in the Face of 26.2

So I stumbled across an old status on Facebook today from 2009 and it read as follows: 

“Set my own personal distance record this morning. 6.43 miles in 1:09”

I remarked in the comments that completing 6.43 miles helped calm my nerves a little about being able to complete the half marathon.  I joked that maybe, just maybe I might not die. 

The whole thing kind of made me laugh because now 6 miles doesn’t seem like a big deal.  I don’t mean that to sound arrogant and I know 6 miles is a long way, but to me NOW it is totally doable—a short run. 

sdt2

Just a Short Run (8.1 miler)—March 2010

That is NOT how I felt on September 7, 2009.  Then I was training for my first half marathon and I had no idea what I was capable of.  Conquering 6.43 miles was definitely an achievement and obviously one I was proud of, but I still had a BIG fear of being able to complete the half marthon. 

Since that time I have run:

  • 4 Half Marathons
  • 1 Full Marathon
  • 3 Triathlons 
  • Numerous other small races

sdt finish

I can’t believe that I have come that far in two short years.  Ok, I get it, I’m not an Ironman and I’m not out there Boston Qualifying.  The point is, I’m a girl that just two short years ago hadn’t run over seven miles and now I’m a a marathoner. 

It just goes to show that everyone starts somewhere.  I didn’t wake up one day and just go out and complete 26.2 miles or 13.1 miles for that I matter.  I worked through my first training plan scared, not knowing if I’d ever be able to complete the distance of 13.1 miles.  I just kept with my training and trusted the process.   

So maybe you’re sitting there thinking I could never do it like Mom Swim Bike Run does.  Well one day, not too long ago, I was in your shoes.  I didn’t think I was capable of doing it.  I was scared of the unknown and scared of my capabilities.  The only thing is, I didn’t let my fear stop me.  I used my fear to fire my determination. 

decker challenge3

There is NO reason to let fear stand in your way.  If we were all too scared to try something new where would we be?  I can tell you one thing, I’d never be able to call myself a marathoner.  So don’t sit on the sidelines paralyzed by fear.  It’s ok to be scared, hell I’m still terrified of the marathon.  The thing is, each time I chip away at my training plan and conquer another long run, my fear decreases.  The marathon becomes less of a big bad wolf and I gain some more confidence. 

So forget your fear, find your determination and get out there and do something that scares you.  I laugh in the face of 26.2!

finish5

Sidebar:  Um ok… maybe I don’t laugh as in a  “muhahahahahaha I’ll get you my pretty” kind of way, but I was on a roll with this post and it sounded really good.  I know better than to really laugh in the face of the marathon because at any time he can chew you up and spit you out.  I understand the marathon is a beast and I respect it, but if I ended this post with “please don’t hurt me” it wouldn’t have had the same effect!   

7 comments:

Tracey said...

Love this! You have come so far- I know you are proud of yourself and you should be!

G. said...

Hi Marathoner! xoxo G.

Cooper Irons said...

You inspired me...once!
But can't seem to face the fear again :(
D.

Becca said...

you rock! Thanks for this post. I'm going to be starting a training plan for a 1/2 in December. I've done 2 1/2's and many sprint tri's and an oly. But had a baby this year and gained 60lbs and starting over feels overwhelming. My last 1/2 I ran in 2:01 and now I can just barely run a 5k and no where near that pace. I needed to read this today! You are right- I will get there again!

Susan Diersing Tirch said...

You could totally do it and if I were there I'd see to it!!! What's stopping you?

Susan Diersing Tirch said...

Thanks for the kind words and best of luck, you will definitely get there!

Ronald Obringer said...

I laugh in the face of poopy diapers! my life has been temporarily relegated to treadmill runs while noah sleeps, and occassional bike ride when the wife will let me get out of the house for an hour or two. So i am going to live vicariously through your training and hope that moving my eyes to read your posts will provide me with enough of a calorie burn to prevent any weight gain.

Post a Comment