Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Former Self

Ever since my accident in June of 2010 when I broke both my shoulder and my wrist, I feel like I’ve been fighting to regain the same level of fitness I had that day.  I was forced to take over 2 months off from basically any physical activity and it really took it’s toll on my overall fitness.  I thought that I would bounce right back, but that has proved NOT to be the case. 

tour de cure century 2010 017

Me the day of my accident

Shortly before my accident, I ran the Pittsburgh 1/2 Marathon averaging a 9:53 pace for those 13.1 miles.  I gave that race EVERYTHING I had and I know I couldn’t have done any better. 

sdt bling9 miles sdt

                        May 2010                               August 2011 (10 lbs heavier)

Here I am 15 months post accident and 16 months from my half marathon PR and I find myself wondering, have I FINALLY reached the same level of fitness.  The truth is, I don’t know so I thought I’d look back at my Garmin and see what it showed me. 

Back in April of 2010 (less than a month before my big PR) I ran a 4 mile training run.  The splits looked like this: 

4 miles april 2010

Today I set out and ran just about the exact same distance.  The splits look like this: 

4 miles september 2011

Even though I feel slower in my head, I guess I’m not.  I managed to shave almost 45 seconds off per mile from April of 2010 until now.  However, even that wasn’t enough proof so I had to look at longer runs too.  Here are the results: 

13 miles step back12 miles april 2010

                September 2011                                   April 2010               

I have put a LOT of hard work into training for this Marathon.  If you recall, I started a 24 week training program back in the beginning of June.  With eight weeks of training remaining, I feel like MAYBE, just maybe, I’m where I was before my accident.  Maybe I am my former self and maybe there’s a PR in my future. 

Have you ever been set back from an accident?  How long did it take you to regain your previous fitness level? 

3 comments:

tracey smith said...

You have come such a long way from last year and from when you first starting running. You should be so proud of yourself and all of the hard work you have put in. After I broke my elbow and had Jenna, it took me a long time to get back to where I was. All of that hard work pays off- I know you are going kill your previous time at this marathon!

Tim said...

Yep, sure have and it stinks. It took me months to recover from surgery and then ended up with an injury from pushing it too hard and too quick and wasn't able to finish Marine Corps last year...ouch that hurt my ego. You are going to finish this marathon strong! Especially after all those months of training in the Texas heat this summer. Keep up the good work!

robringer said...

you are like the 6million dollar woman now susan...better than before :)

Post a Comment