Tuesday, September 27, 2011

One Step Closer

Tuesday is speed work day in the Tirch marathon training world.  Oh how I loathe speed work, but I know it is necessary and good.  It’s just so hard to motivate myself to push beyond my normal/comfortable limits. 

track

We arrived at the track shortly after 9:00 am (I had to get Jack off to school first) and it was incredibly hot and windy.  The temperature was near 90 degrees and, as per usual, there was not a cloud in the sky. 

speed work temp

Bianca and I knew it was going to be a tough workout due to the conditions, but we lined up and set out to do 7 X 800 Yassos. 

speed work feet

Combatted with the heat and my tired legs (they’re always tired these days) I suspected I wouldn’t be able to do super fast Yassos.  I’m supposed to do 4:30 800s, but I’ve had success in the past doing them slightly faster.  Today, I decided I’d be more than happy with 4:30s and my only goal was to do not one second more than 4:30. 

Here are my splits:

yassos

Each of the seven red arrows indicate a “speed” lap.  (Between laps 13 and 14 I hit stop time accidently and had to restart and it messed up my perfect little chart.)

So as you can see, I just barely made my goal of 4:30 narrowly squeaking out the last 800 repeat at 4:30 flat. To me, I felt like I was running as fast and as hard as I could so I’m happy with today’s results. 

speed work sdt

As usual, Bianca made it look easy (to me) and was a WHOLE lap ahead of me finishing.  She looks like such a natural.  Maybe if I keep running with her she’ll just rub off on me.  Hey Bianca, I’ll take some of your skinny legs too!  Open-mouthed smile 

speed work bc

So there you have it.  Another day, another work out, another step (literally) closer to the MARATHON.

2 comments:

G. said...

Wow xoxox G.

robringer said...

christine and i are now tossing around the idea of running the pittsburgh half again....you going to come up for it? I want to try to run for a faster time this year if i do it...

Post a Comment