Monday, September 26, 2011

Race Numbers 10 and 11

In case you haven’t noticed, I haven’t raced in awhile.  If you also recall, I set out to run 12 races in the 12 months of 2011 (that would sound so much better if it were 2012). 

So far I have run 9 races:

  • February:  Austin Livestrong Marathon
  • March: Rock N Roll Dallas Half Marathon
  • April:  The Rookie Triathlon
  • May:  Dukes and Daisies 5k
  • June: 
    • Flamingo 5k
    • Maudie’s Moonlight Margarita Run
    • Lake Pflugerville Triathlon
  • July:
    • Lake Latonka Friendly Frolic
    • Butler YMCA Triathlon

I planned on taking the months of July and August off due to the heat, but it seems I have taken off August and September instead.  I wound up skipping an Olympic Tri I had on my preliminary schedule (too effing hot) and I’m not going to do the Livestrong Challenge bike ride I’d planned for either.  I’m just afraid to risk injury riding that far with such little bike focuses training. 

So, I needed to step it up if I was going to meet my goal and race in 12 races this year.  And step it up I did.  I am currently registered for:

IBM Uptown Classic 10K on October 2nd

2011 IBM Uptown Classic

 

I’m super excited about this race because I have never raced the 10k distance before.  10k is 6.2 miles, which I feel completely comfortable doing.  It’s also a “short” enough distance that I’m hoping I’m can push myself a little and have a 10k PR (personal record) I can be proud of.  Regardless, I’ll be getting a PR that day Open-mouthed smile 

I also registered for the Run for the Water 10 miler (R4TW2011) on October 30th. 

 

I plan on running this race more conservatively as it is just two weeks before my marathon.  I do, however, think it will help alleviate some of those prerace jitters.  It will allow me to get out there in a race and absorb the atmosphere without as many nerves.

Adding race numbers 10 and 11 to my schedule is pretty exciting.  I have at least 2 more races planned for 2011 (my marathon and another 1/2 marathon) so I should meet my goal of 12 races in 12 months with no problem.  Adding these races to my schedule leaves me eager to get out there and see what I can do.   I realized over this past year, I really do love to race. 

My advice?  Open your arms and embrace it-- always do what you love, love what you do!

arms wide open

5 comments:

G. said...

You scare me! I guess you love what you do - so did I! xoxo G.

tracey smith said...

I have only run one 10k (The Great Race last year) and I loved it. I was sad to have to miss it this year. It is a great distance- I think you will love it. Good luck!

JulietteHarmon said...

YEP! Good times!

Ronald Obringer said...

high five!

Melissa said...

You'll love IBM, it's a pretty fast course. Good luck on Sunday, maybe I"ll see you out there!

Post a Comment