Friday, October 28, 2011

Adventures in Packet Pick-up

Bianca and I are quite the pair.  Today we headed out to pick up our packets for the Run for the Water 10 miler we are doing on Sunday.  Neither one of us really knew where we were going, despite the fact that I had been their before (in my defense I didn't drive).  Anyway, we were armed with an address and a GPS and we set off for downtown Austin.



On the way there, there was a lot of grandma driving hunched over the steering wheel and going 40 in the slow lane.  What is it when you don't know where you're going that causes you to lean up on the steering wheel?  I don't know, but it makes me laugh.

Nevertheless, we safely arrived at our exit for the downtown streets where we encountered a few more obstacles.  There was batting of the eye lashes to move over two lanes of traffic.  Funny thing is we were wearing sunglasses so I think "chubby dude" let us over because he felt bad for the suburban housewives venturing through downtown Ausitn.

Next up was the iffy right turn on red.  It went something like this:

Bianca:  Can we turn on red?
Me:  I think you can.
B:  That's the thing about driving downtown that I don't like... too many pedestrians
Me:  I know they're everywhere
B:  Looks like it's safe to go
Me:  Yeah I think it looks good
Bianca starts to turn cautiously looking out for bikers and pedestrians 
Me:  Uhhhh Bianca... you have the green arrow.

Clearly we need to get out of our own backyard a little more often.

After one more missed turned we arrived at our destination of RunTex on Riverside Drive.


We had the hefty responsibility of picking up packets for four other runners.  I mean seriously I had to spell their last names and count out four safety pins apiece.  It's a tough job, but I managed.   A talent not many possess.


I am happy to report I received an even bib number and I will be racing as bib number 168.  I also like that 8 goes into 16, 2 times.  All even numbers.  It's bound to be a good race right?  
  

I also love the shirt.  Isn't it all about the shirt?  Women's fit!  Dri-fit!  What's not to love?  Speaking of what's not to love... check out miss thing below.  She might not be a good driver *wink wink* but she's a hell of a model (and runner)!  


Best of luck to all my fellow runners racing in Run for the Water.  Also best of luck if you haven't yet picked up your packet.  Hopefully you fare better than Bianca and I!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come I hear things differently when my wife gets home?

Julie Harmon said...

Very cute!

G. said...

OMG you are so far "out in the country" you granny drove to Austin - I LOVE it! xoxo G.

robringer said...

good luck!!

Post a Comment