Monday, October 10, 2011

The Good Outweighs the Bad

Tomorrow I'm going out to run the 22 miles that never happened on Sunday due to weather.  I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty nervous tackling 22 miles on a weekday.  I always do my long runs on Sundays and very occasionally Saturdays if my schedule has to be changed, but never have a I done this long of a run on a weekday.

To calm my nerves I decided I'd list the pros and cons to doing my long run on a Tuesday.

Here goes...

Cons:


  • Can't start until the kids are at school which makes for a 8:00 am start instead of my normal 6:00 am start
  • Feel pressure to get done ASAP as I have to pick up Jack from school 
  • Have to be seen (and smelled) by other humans right after run (because I have to get Jack from school) 
  • Must stay vertical the rest of the day as there will be no time for napping 
  • Can't convince George to get me food and drinks and massage my ankles as he will be at work 
  • No water stations on the trail on weekdays 
  • Only 5 more days until ANOTHER long run 
  • Don't have the rest of the day to relax
  • No one to ask me how it went when I get home (lonely much?)
  • Running 22 miles sucks no matter what day of the week it is 


So as you can see, there are a lot of disadvantages to doing a long run on a Tuesday, but I came up with some Pros too.



Pros: 
  • I didn't have to run in the rain on Sunday 
  • I'll miss my hill/speed workout as that is normally done on Tuesday
  • I will be able to consume copious amounts of calories on a random Tuesday 
  • Running 22 miles is awesome no matter what day of the week it is


After weighing all the pros and cons I see a couple of things.  I'll be skipping hill repeats and eating lots of food.  Winning!  I also realized, it doesn't matter what day of the week it is-- running 22 miles is hard, but when it's over it well feel oh so good (on a Tuesday!).  

You see, the good always outweighs the bad.  


2 comments:

Feener44 said...

who cares about smelly pick up....i do that every day !!!

robringer said...

tuesdays are the new mondays.

Post a Comment