Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Night

Halloween is definitely one of my favorite days of the year.  I can specifically remember almost every halloween of my childhood and it brings back such great memories.  Ok except that one year I was a crayon and my mom bought my tights two sizes too small and we had to stop at every other house to pull them up, but I digress.   I remember having so much candy even a pillow case wasn't enough to haul it all around.  I'd come home and covet every last treat (except those damn popcorn balls) and the candy lasted me until Easter.

I hope my kids are creating their own special Halloween memories as I have done everything I can to make it special for them.  If you know me at all, then you know I'm always up for a good Halloween theme.  I had the kids talked into being Mario, Luigi and Princess Peach from Super Mario Bros. for months, but when it came to ordering the costumes my plans went up in flames.

Nicholas started expressing the desire to be a baseball player.  I begged and coerced, but nothing was changing his mind.  It wasn't until he finally said, "Why can't you just let me be what I want to be?" that I realized how crazy I was being.  I don't want Nicholas' memories of Halloween being that his mom MADE him wear a Mario costume.  So the Andrew McCutchen (Pittsburgh Pirates' baseball player) costume was born.




That left me with Jack and Ella to manipulate convince into being what I wanted them to be.  Ella was kind of all over the place, but basically her costume preferences were anything girlie.   So, I started showing Jack all kinds of costumes and he became fixated on a spider costume while browsing costumes one day while Ella and Nicholas were at school.  Once he saw it there was no changing his mind.




Ok well all didn't have to be lost, surely I could talk Ella into being Little Miss Muffet.  The costume was pink and girlie.  I still a chance to pull off a theme.  Um NO!  Not only did she say no to Little Miss Muffet, she said no to Strawberry Shortcake,  Lalaloopsy, and other girlie options.  She had one thing on her mind.... Taylor Swift.  I really did love the idea and the costume turned out great, but there was NO theme!




The bottom line is the kids all LOVED their costumes and I have never seen each and every one of them so happy on Halloween.  They are ALL finally old enough to understand AND enjoy the whole process.  They're also all young enough to think trick or treat is still really cool.  I want to just freeze time right here forever!



In the end, it doesn't matter to me that there was no theme.  I'd rather see them happy and being who THEY want to be and seeing them happy makes ME the happiest!

1 comments:

G. said...

They look great and they sure do look HAPPY! xoxo G.

Post a Comment