Monday, October 3, 2011

Jezebel

I hosted book club this evening and my chosen novel was The Help by Kathryn Socket.  The book was amazing for so many reasons and it sparked a lot of great conversation.  If you haven’t read it, you definitely should.  If you don’t read, then you should see the movie. 

But I’m not here to talk about the book.  Oh no!  I’m here to talk about the food (of course), but we’ll get to that.  I was frazzled from the moment I woke up this morning.  I had over 100 emails unread in my inbox and a ton of things that needed my follow up attention.  I immediately decided, before I was even out of bed, that I was skipping my workout. 

See sometimes something has to give and sometimes it’s a workout.  I don’t lose sleep over it.  It’s what I needed to do today and I’m okay with that.  Anyway, I spent all morning addressing all the loose ends in my inbox and my mind.  I then went grocery shopping, cleaned my house, volunteered at run club for the kids, and made dinner.  Can you imagine how productive I’d be if I NEVER worked out?  Don’t answer that.  We don’t want George getting any ideas.

Seeing as how my brain was on overload I texted my friend Dedie an SOS for ideas on what to serve the ladies of book club.  I just couldn’t think and I wanted one less thing to worry about.  I knew Dedie would say just the right thing and she did.  Thanks Dedie!

The Salt Lick Irons 024

She suggested a gorganzola cheese with fig, which I’ve had before and love.  She also suggest goat cheese and chili sauce which I hadn’t had, but would love to try.  All the talk of cheese and “sauces” got me thinking of an old family favorite and I knew I had to make it. 

This recipe comes from my Aunt Susan (provided by my cousin Maria, who, by the way, was the first to respond out of her, my cousin Erin and my sister Sara).  It automatically reminds me of family dinners as it was often a precursor to my Aunt Susan’s meals.  This was the perfect item to accompany the fig and gorganzola and round out my cheese/fruit/wine spread.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I have over the years.

Jezebel Sauce

book club 004

Ingredients:

  • 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
  • 1 jar apricot preserves
  • 1 jar apple jelly
  • 1 small jar horseradish
  • 2 T dry mustard

Directions:

Mix all ingredients (except cream cheese) together and pour over block of softened cream cheese.  Serve with crackers of your choice (I used Triscuits). 

To round out your book club menu also serve copious amounts of wine, other cheeses, grapes and top it all off with some carrot cake. 

book club 007book club 008

3 comments:

Maria said...

P.S. You can also add some cracked black pepper to the mix. Yum-O!

xoxoxo

G. said...

Hoity Toity! xoxoxo G.

robringer said...

yum...not friendly to weightwatchers guy here...but delicious nonetheless.

Post a Comment