Friday, October 21, 2011

Seeing Myself on the Bike Again

I did it!  I survived my longest bike ride since my accident without incident.  It wasn't the 40 miles that we planned for, but it was enough.  We decided to do just 30 miles for time's sake and I can't say that I'm upset we did 10 less than planned.



On the way OUT (on our out and back course) the wind was at our back and life seemed easy breezy (no pun intended).  I felt pretty good the whole time.  I was cautious on all the downhills not knowing how I'd feel, but surprisingly I wasn't really scared at all.  I even went as fast as 28.4 mph (that's fast for me).  I don't like to feel out of control on the bike so I like to keep it at I speed that I can handle if something unexpected should happen (and even then nothing is guaranteed).  


We got to the turn around point (just at 15 miles) and we flexed our muscles letting each other know how awesome we are.  We just tackled 15 miles like it was nothing averaging close to 16 mph with all stops.



THEN we turned around.  Oh-em-gee!  The wind was so bad and right in our faces.  What had been an easy, comfortable, fun ride suddenly turned into a brutal ride inflicting pain on every muscle.  There are a lot of climbs on this route.  They're not really steep but they're gradual and LONG!  Getting up the hills in the wind was TOUGH.  





Getting back on my bike felt so great.  Like I said, I've done some shorter and less challenging rides, but 30 miles is a decent clip and I'm glad it didn't make me feel like I wanted to die.  Ok, ok maybe once when the wind was blowing in my face and I was going 6 mph I wanted to do, but that feeling was very temporary.  

All and all, I had a great time riding with George and my dad.  It was nice to ride with George as that chance doesn't come too often (he should take off every Friday right?).   No matter who I'm riding with, I'm just glad I can see myself on my bike again!

5 comments:

G. said...

There ya go!! Nice job - xoxo G.

DiaryofaMadFatWoman said...

Congrats!

Kortni said...

Yeah for you!

robringer said...

getting over your fears with baby steps...helps to have great riding partners!

Kim said...

Welcome back to cycling! I love riding with my husband too, but, as you know, with little ones at home, it is a rare treat.

Post a Comment