Sunday, November 20, 2011

First Annual Circle of Friends Thanksgiving 2011

Today was the First Annual Circle of Friends Thanksgiving Dinner complete with a kids' Turkey Trot 1K. I hosted dinner for three of my good friends here in Texas and their families.  That included 8 adults and 10 kids.  Whew.  I'm tired, but I'll try to recount the day.

I made shirts for all the kids and I was very excited for them all to have the same one.  It wasn't longer than 10 minutes having them on and they started to peel.  I have made TONS of shirts with these labels in the past and never had a problem with them so I don't know if it was a bad batch of labels or what, but it was a waste of my time and money and really upset my type A personality that they weren't perfect (yes I'm aware that's a run on sentence... deal).  Oh well, a couple of glasses of wine and I was over it.



Not long after everyone arrived we headed across the street to the school to start the Kids' Turkey Trot.  I think the course was about .7 miles so a little longer than 1K, but that's neither here nor there.  Most of the kids were really excited to run and I promised a medal to all the finishers.



Pretty soon they were on there mark and then they were off.



Julie, Bianca and David followed along in the car to take pictures and cheer anyone along that might need it.  George was to ride his bike to keep eye on everyone too.  As soon as they took off Jack couldn't keep up and he immediately started whaling that everyone had left him.  So I told George to throw him on his bike so Jack could catch up and run with the other kids.  That made Jack happy.


Everyone else seemed really happy running too.  Nothing like a little healthy competition and a some sweat to get you going on Thanksgiving.  








It wasn't long after the kids took off and I realized George had the medals in his pocket.  I wanted to have them there for the kids whenever they crossed the finish line.  You know me-- Type A.  So I did what any normal person would do.  I hopped on an eight year old's bike and chased after George.  Let me tell you, this was NOT an easy task.


By the time I made it to George, I had sweat rolling down my back and I was out of breath.  It was SOOOOOO hard riding that bike.  I told him to race to the finish to greet the kids with the medals as I rode back along side Jack.  


Well everyone made it to the finish line and got their medals and it seemed like everyone had a really great time.  And with that the First Annual Circle of Friends Turkey Trot was over.  


We headed back to the house to put the finishing touches on all the food and EAT.  Let's face it, isn't that what we're all really here to do anyway?  






But, there wasn't just food there were beverages as well.   Some liked theirs better than others.  (Ok, ok the straw was a joke.) 


After dinner we headed out to do the piñata.  Yes, every Thanksgiving feast needs a piñata.  What?  It was fun.  





I know the kids probably all had more candy than they needed left over from Halloween, but the piñata was a lot of fun for them.  Plus, who doesn't like Pixie Sticks?  Ahhh sugar high!

Next up were the potato sack races.  You'd be amazed how weak your bladder is after you have had three kids and you hop around in a sack, but I stuck it out and managed 2nd place and no pee in my pants. 









At one point Bianca and I did wind up on the ground together.  I was laughing so hard I couldn't get up and our legs were still entangled in the sack.  You try dealing with a sack, a pair of cowboy boots and a tipsy partner.  I, of course, was completely innocent in all of this.  I definitely didn't cause the fall at all.  No siree!



We topped off our evening with coffee and a huge amount of desserts.  It was the perfect end to a near perfect day.  I really had a great time today and am glad that I decided to throw a Thanksgiving dinner with my friends.  I definitely still miss my family, but I am incredibly thankful to have such great friends in my life.  Today they were family.  


5 comments:

David C said...

Wonderful day/night! Great photos. ALL the food was great and the company was even better. Thanks for hosting all 18 bodies this year and kicking it off so well. Once again, you've set the bar high.

G. said...

What a great "First Annual" you rock!

Mike McGowan said...

What a terrific idea by you. To see the joy on those kids faces as they ran must have been priceless. You are an amazing lady to do all that.

JulietteHarmon said...

We had so much fun!!! What a great day and I was blown away by how hard you worked to make it a wonderful meal! Bianca and I decided that next year would be at her house. ;) Right, Bianca? LOL!

robringer said...

THAT looks like a ton of fun!

Post a Comment