Saturday, November 19, 2011

Food Coma Preparation

Yesterday I didn't blog because I was too tired and nothing exciting happened in my life.  Today I'm more tired and even less exciting, but here I am to tell you about.  I cooked and cleaned.  ALL.DAY.LONG.  Why you ask?  Tomorrow I'm hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for 3 of my BFFs here in Texas and their families (8 adults and 10 kids).  I've made so much food today in preparation, if these people don't eat I'll be crackin' skulls (name that movie).

Here are a couple of the recipes I made (that I stole from last year's blog post).  Try these two for Thanksgiving next week, you definitely will NOT be disappointed.


New World Succotash

Ingredients
2 Slices thick-cut bacon (You may choose to use more like I.  In fact, next time I'm using the whole pound.)
4 medium carrots
3 cups fresh corn kernels (I used frozen and it was just as good)
1 bag (1 lb) frozen shelled edamame
1 lemon 
1/4 c snipped fresh chives (I FORGOT these.. oops)
1/8 tsp cayenne salt (just realized when re-reading I used 1/4 tsp... it worked)

Directions
Cook bacon until crisp
Cut carrots into quarters length wise then cut crosswise at an angle into 1.5 inch pieces
Drain bacon and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat 
Add carrots to the skillet with 1/4 cup water 
Cover and cook 6 minutes
Add corn and edamame and cook for 10 minutes 
Squeeze 1 tablespoon lemon juice into large bowl 
Add veggies, chives, cayenne and salt
Toss to combine 
Crumble bacon over top and serve


I also made homemade cranberry sauce which I don't think I've ever had.  It was so easy and I highly suggest not serving cranberry in the shape of a can ever again .

Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients

1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
1 3/4 cup sugar 
3/4 cup water 
1 orange slice
1 tsp orange peel 

Directions

Combine all ingredients and stir over high for 3 minutes until sugar melts and water starts to boil
Reduce heat and simmer until thick (about 15 minutes)
Discard orange slice 
Chill and serve 

Totally worth the 20 minutes!  


I'll be back tomorrow to report all the fun of the "First Annual Circle of Friends Thanksgiving".  We have lots of fun stuff planned.  I might, however, be in a food coma.... AGAIN!

2 comments:

JulietteHarmon said...

That succotash looks so good!!! I'm worried because I KNOW you will give me that look that says you better eat more!! LOL!

G. said...

Enjoy - oh and I liked the canned stuff!

Post a Comment