Saturday, February 11, 2012

Race Recap: Virtual 5k For Sherry Arnold

Long ago (ok not so long ago, more like two and a half years ago) I could never have understood the running community.  To be honest, I never knew it existed.  I probably was one of those people who looked at those running when it was either 20 degrees or 120 degrees and asked myself, "Are they crazy?"

Now, I'm proudly one of "those people".   The type of person who silently nods to the other runner as we cross paths.  Even with words unspoken, we have a mutual understanding and respect.   So, when one of us (no matter if we knew her or not) senselessly had her life taken, we came together in her honor.  You can read about Sherry Arnold, a mother, wife, teacher and runner, whose life was taken too soon by clicking here.  Today Sherry, we honor your life and pray that you are finding joy running in His presence.



From left to right:

Bianca:  Mother of two, most days runs for happiness, but today ran for Sherry.
Karla:  Mother of two, most days runs for peace, but today ran for Sherry.
Tracy:  Inspired by her mother,  most days thinks running is crazy, but today ran for Sherry.
Julie:  Mother of three, runs most days for freedom, but today ran for Sherry.
Mary:  Mother of four, runs most days for exercise, but today ran for Sherry.
Shannon:  Mother of three, runs most days for invigoration, but today ran for Sherry.
Jennifer:  Mother of two, runs most days for therapy, but today ran for Sherry.
Chrystal:  Mother of two, runs most days for serenity, but today ran for Sherry.
Me (not pictured):  Mother of three, runs most days for health, but today ran for Sherry.



Eight mothers


One daughter 



One cause


Infinite courage, strength and grace given to us, by the grace of God and our friend Sherry.  Never Forget



Proof I was there

4 comments:

Christie said...

I ran for her today as well. http://wp.me/pNO2f-xc

Courtney said...

Just wonderful!!! Brings tears to my eyes. I can identify w/ the not understanding the running community til 2 and 1/2 yrs ago!! I would pass runners and almost hate on them. Now I "get it". Running alone quite often in my spread out, wooded neighborhood, I've had fear in the back of my mind on each and every run at some point, so what happened to Sherry has rocked me to my core. I'm hoping to be feeling better and rock the colon cancer 5k here locally on March 24th, along w/ several friends and my Mom. I run it every year in honor of my Grandma, but this year will also be dedicating it to Sherry.
So awesome what you all did. There's so much strength and love in the community we can call ours. <3

Momswimbikerun said...

Thank you Courtney. Please be careful out there, you just never know what can happen. Best of luck for your 5k, I know you'll have someone(s) looking over you.

Fancy Nancy said...

The power of women just moves me! What a great group!

Post a Comment