Monday, June 25, 2012

Hula Barbie Cake

Yesterday was my daughter Ella's BFF's birthday.  Isabel turned 6 years old.  In case you're new around here, Isabel is Bianca's daughter and she and Ella have a very special bond.



I love Isabel very much, so when it came to her birthday, I was more than willing to help.  I volunteered to do the cake for her hula themed party.  I'm not cake expert, trust me, but I'm pretty happy with the way the cake turned out.

I used the Wilton Barbie pan to make the hula skirt.  The pan was easy to use and it came out of the pan clean the first time with no problems whatsoever.   I then just stuck the full size barbie down in the cake (which I had frozen over night).


I did a quick crumb coat with the green icing I planned to use to make the hula skirt.


I then used the "grass" tip and starting at the waist moved down to the bottom never stopping or lifting the tip.  I didn't care if it was straight or crooked because it added to the grass effect.  I overlapped as necessary to fill in.



I planned to use a lei around the bottom just to add some fun because, like I said, I'm not expert and I don't know how to make nice flowers.  I'm sure if you're wild and crazy you could make them.  Let me know how that works out for you.  


I did decide she needed a little more flower bling and added flowers around her waist using a small star tip.  I think the small amount of work added a lot.


Because this cake would never be big enough to serve everyone at the party, I also made cupcakes and iced them with tinted buttercream.  The hibiscus picks added a festive touch.


Not bad for a novice right?  Simple, fun and super cute... just like the birthday girl.


2 comments:

Kortni said...

Love it! I think you did pretty great for your first fancy cake!! I bet the girls were thrilled!

Courtney said...

CUTE!!!

Post a Comment