Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I'm a Runner XVI

Susan Tirch
Singer (to myself in the car and in shower) 
37 for a wee bit longer, Texas





My father, at 69 years old, can still kick my ass running.  He didn't start running until he was in his 50s.  I think as he got older he needed a hobby and so running became part of his life.  He was an inspiration for me to start running.

Fitness has been such a big part of my life for the last 4 years that it's hard to imagine my life before.  The thing is, I feel as though I'm just reaching the tip of the iceberg and there is so much more to be explored and developed.  I'm excited.

I run three, times a week right now training for the NYC Marathon.  I really like Hal Higdon's Marathon 3 training program.  Running just 3 days a week keeps from getting burned out and allows me to do other cross training which I love.

Until a few years ago I could never have imagined myself running the NYC marathon, or any marathon for that matter.  If you're not part of the running community, I don't think running is even on your radar.  I can honestly say I never gave marathoning ANY thought at all.  As far as I was concerned, it didn't exist.

If I don't listen to my body, I find myself in trouble.  I really do try to listen to my body and know when something requires rest and when I'm just being lazy and tired.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, but I feel the longer I've been doing this I know when something is really wrong.

My hair is at a very annoying stage.  Part of me wants to chop it all off so it can be cute and stylish but the running part of me likes to throw it in a ponytail really quick and go out for a run.  There's nothing worse than hair in your face while exercising.  The problem is, I have become so lazy and rarely style my hair.

When I run I imagine what passers by think.  I have the worst running form (so I'm told) and I wonder if people are snickering under their breath.

I'm the worst at stretching.  I don't know why something so simple proves to be so difficult for me.  I've been having nagging buttock/hamstring/hip pain so I've been trying to foam roll and stretch.  I can already see where it makes a big difference.

I live in one of the fittest cities in America and it shows.  I'm surrounded by so many other fit moms that find a way to make health and fitness a priority.  You can't help by be inspired to be healthy.

I'm a fan of Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan and can't wait to watch them hopefully kick booty during the Marathon in the Olympics this year.  I expect them to do well. I hope they don't disappoint.

Running is not a 4 letter word, although sometimes I think it should be.  Ha!


Interested in reading more from this series?  Check them out below:

I'm a Runner 

0 comments:

Post a Comment