Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School 2012

Well we jumped right into the swing of things as today was the first day of school for the kiddos.  Well Ella and Nicholas at least.  Jack doesn't start until next week.  I went in to Ella's room this morning and she was wide awake and jumped right out of bed.  She was REALLY excited about going to school.  

Nicholas, on the other hand, was not as enthusiastic.  He didn't give me a problem getting up, but he didn't bound out of bed.  He could just care less.

Nonetheless, I have a first grader.

 And a fourth grader.

How did that even happen?

I don't know what I've said on the blog, but my family and I are living with a VERY GOOD friend of mine and George's named Jami.  She is single (has a dog and a cat) but lives in a large 5 bedroom place.  She offered to let us stay and practically it was the best option for us.  She has everything we need so we just need clothes and maybe a few toys.    It helps that she cooks and is extremely helpful with the kids too.  Ha!  Anyway, she has a dog and the kids really love her.  I told them this is their opportunity to prove to me that they can take care of a dog.  It's still new, so we will see.

Anyway, we left Jami's house to get the bus.  She lives outside the school district so I just decided to take the kids to their normal bus stop.  It's only 1 mile from the school (so no further for me to drive really) and it gets them (and the bus driver) into a routine.  Plus the kids are at two different school so I figured this was just easier.

Their scheduled pick up time was 8:25.  Luckily I'm an early bird and arrived around 8:12 or 8:13.  I walked up to the other moms and dads standing there to ask them what time the bus normally drops off in the afternoon.  Just as I walked up the bus pulled up.  I turned my back to the road to yell at my kids to get out of the car.  By the time my kids got near the bus, the driver had already closed the door and was ready to take off.  The other mom motioned for him to wait and he opened the door.  He said, "where have you been?"  I was thinking to myself, I was getting my kids and you're 10 minutes early.  He told me that normally he is even earlier. Basically insinuating I was lucky I made it this time.  So much for 8:25 pick up.  It looks like it's going to be 8:10.  I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't been early and I feel bad for other new people in our neighborhood (it's a brand new community with less than 10 built homes).  I hope everyone made it on the bus.

Needless to say, I didn't get a picture of the kiddos getting on the bus and felt very rushed, but there was nothing for me to do.  I drove away feeling sad.

The chaos didn't end there because the bus getting home was over 20 minutes late and didn't arrive until  just after 4:30.  I was starting to get worried that they'd been abducted.  Ha!  Turns out, they weren't abducted and both actually reported a REALLY GREAT day.

All's well that ends well.


Gknee said...


Kortni Mann said...

Our bus was 25 minutes late this morning and afternoon. A bus that early would kill us. The kids already have to be at the bus stop at 7:15. They look great!

Post a Comment