Thursday, October 4, 2012

Body After Babies

If you're like me, then you probably know what your weight was at every milestone in life.   I think I've talked about this on the blog before.  I don't know, have I?  Anyway, I really don't think I'm that odd.  I bet most women can remember their weight on monumental days in their lives.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway, I remember I weighed 115 when I graduated high school.  I was 118 when I met George, I was 124 pounds in college and 133 pounds when I married George in 2001.


I've been through a lot since then.  When I got pregnant with Nicholas I probably weighed 136 pounds.    I only gained about 23 pounds with Nicholas, but he was born 5 week early.  This picture was about 10 days before his birth.


I lost the baby weight pretty quickly.  I remember coming home from the hospital and my neighbors/friends asking me where my belly was.  I probably still hung on to a few pounds so I'm guessing I was hovering around the 140 range when I got pregnant with Ella.

Again, I only gained about 25 pounds with Ella.  I can't even imagine gaining more weight than that.  Not because I think it's bad, just because I can't imagine the challenge of having to lose all that weight.


Once again, I lost my weight pretty quickly with Ella, but hung on to those last 4 to 5 pounds.  I was never really concerned with losing them.  So what am I now?  145 pounds?  Finally, I got concerned and I buckled down at some point (maybe when Ella was 6 months).   Basically I lost weight by starving and not exercising and I think I got down to about 138 pounds or so.  I felt pretty good about my weight at that point.


Just when things were moving in the right direction in the weight department, I got pregnant with Jack.  Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of me pregnant with Jack on my computer.  (They're all on CDs still in Texas).   I gained about 27 pounds with Jack.  Again, the baby weight came off pretty easily, but for whatever reason I not only hung on to those last 5 pounds, but I also started putting weight back on!

I remember distinctly asking my brother if he thought I looked fat.  I felt like he'd be the one person that wouldn't lie to me.  His answer was something like, you don't look fat, it's still manageable.  Ha!  Still, I told myself, he said I wasn't fat.

So there I was, 7 years and 3 kids later, and I weighed 158 pounds
All this just to tell you that I had my annual appointment today with my doctor and guess what I weighed?  You guessed it, EXACTLY what I weighed on my wedding day.


All this just to say, that if you're struggling to lose weight or you're a mom in the midst of having kids, well then I say don't sweat it.  Although I wish I would have been more healthy and exercised during my pregnancies, I still managed to have 3 healthy babies.  I might have been a little pudgy while doing it, but after I was finished I got things under control.

They say you're body is never the same after kids.  I think "they're" right.  I think it's better!


P.S.  I just want to say this.  There is NO magic pill for weight loss.  There is NO big secret.  It just takes TIME, dedication and a lot of hard work.  I'm not going to lie.  Losing weight and even maintaining it is work.  You just have to decide how much you want it, and DO IT!


0 comments:

Post a Comment