I have spent ALL day making this popcorn. Like I started at 1:00 pm and I'm STILL working on it. Five special people will be receiving said popcorn, however, and I hope it will make them happy.
I've posted this recipe in the past, but it bears repeating. So here it is. Make it for a Halloween hostess gift or make it for yourself. You won't be disappointed.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn in a very large bowl. (I didn't wind up mixing in this bowl because it's plastic. I'd suggest something that can sustain the heat.)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil without stirring 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla.
- Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Place in two large shallow baking dishes (I used a cookie sheet) and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.