Monday, February 25, 2013

Susan-- Pharmacist

Once upon a time I was a full-time pharmacist...

I worked 12 hour days
I filled over 600 scripts in a day (and was the only pharmacist on duty).  Ok that only happened once but still.
I would talk on one phone and be on hold on another
I took calls
I counted pills
I counseled patients
I got refills authorized
I got medication prior authorizations
I was a cashier
I mixed antibiotics
I made over the counter recommendations
and...
I was good at it

What?  I was.  I'm a good multi-tasker.  I'm fast and efficient with my time and I get the job done.

As the number of kids I had increased, the number of hours I worked decreased.  I moved from working at the busier Walmart to a much slower paced Sam's Club.   Eventually I left Sam's Club to work in a closed pharmacy filling mail order prescriptions (high cost injectables).  It was my BEST pharmacy job ever.  I no longer had to do the long list I shared above.  I just had to check prescriptions for accuracy all day long.

Then we moved to Texas and I didn't work for two years.  I no longer identified with being a pharmacist.  Not because I wasn't (I do hold a doctorate degree that NO ONE or NOTHING can ever take away), but because it wasn't a part of my day to day (or even week to week) life, it just didn't seem  who I was.  I started to fear that I didn't know how to be a pharmacist anymore-- that I somehow wasn't good enough or wasn't worthy of  the profession.   Could I still do it?

So when I moved back to Pennsylvania (where I am a licensed pharmacist), I signed back on with Sam's Club in the hopes of regaining that part of my life, but I was scared.  I feared that I'd lost my touch and I didn't know "how to be a pharmacist" anymore.

Well today my friends I worked my first day back in the pharmacy where I was the only pharmacist on duty.  You know what?


I worked 10 hour day
I filled about 100 prescriptions
I would talk on one phone and be on hold on another
I took calls
I counted pills
I counseled patients
I got refills authorized
I got medication prior authorizations
I was a cashier
I mixed antibiotics
I made over the counter recommendations
and...

I was good at it.

It feels good to be back.


In case there is any question.... This is still mom swim bike run up in here.  I know there's not a whole lot of those things going on, but don't worry we won't let this little J.O.B. get in the way.  Oh nosiree.  I am working on an as needed basis covering shifts for vacations and other pharmacists' days off.   I hope it amounts to 2 or so days a month.

Oh and we still have that hamstrings to deal with... I'm PATIENTLY resting.  More on that later.

2 comments:

Kortni said...

How fun to hear about a totally different side of you!

Ronald Obringer said...

Welcome home

Post a Comment