Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Comeback Week

If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram (momswimbikerun) then you know that I've decided that this week would mark my comeback to working out.  So many of you have asked me if I was "approved" and the answer is yes.  My doctor told me to rest for 10 to 12 weeks and I have done that.

The next question would be do my legs feel better.  The answer is a little more difficult to answer.  I will tell you this.  I had a nagging pain in my left butt (pelvis) that was horribly painful.  It got to the point where sitting made it hurt.  I was also at the point where even at rest my left leg was painful.  The MRI showed I had a muscle strain/pull with swelling and edema.  I'm confident that I'm over my strain. My butt no longer hurts and I don't feel any pain at rest.

Having said that, my legs (yes plural) still hurt.  My pain has always been bilateral, but was much worse on the left side (although this summer it was worse on the right).  That's what is so puzzling about my leg pain.  I am CONVINCED that something else is causing my leg pain.  It's not muscle strain or muscle tears at all (I feel confident those things have healed).  I've been avoiding going to the doctor, but I think it's time I make an appointment and go have some blood work done.

There are (obviously) lots of details that I'm neglecting to share here.   Mainly because they're boring and nothing I'm really too sure about.  I have my suspicions about what is causing my leg pain, but I know at this point it's not going to necessarily be exacerbated by running.  Cryptic?  Yes.  I'm sorry, I just don't have a good explanation and don't really feel like I can type it all out.

The point is, I'm making my exercise comeback and good thing because I have a half marathon in 7 weeks.  I've already signed up and paid to run the Pittsburgh Half Marathon so I really want to do it.  I don't want to sit out another race that I've paid for.  Plus, I really love the half marathon distance and have friends and family running.  I want to be part of it.  I don't know what sort of shape I'll be able to get myself into between now and then, but I'm going to do it and I'll just do the best I can.

I've done a lot of thinking over the past 10 weeks about what is important to me and what I want to do in the future.  I'm still uncertain about what the future holds, but I do know I want to do what makes me happy.  I know running on a treadmill does NOT make me happy.  I absolutely despise it.  So living in Pittsburgh (where it's cold MOST of the time), I'm going to have to rethink what my goals are moving forward.

My original plan for the fall was to do the Rev3 Half Ironman in Sandusky, OH in September, but I'm not too optimistic about being able to do it.  My base is zero right now and the thought of working up to swimming 1.1 miles followed by a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run seems a little too daunting.  I don't know though, in a month or two I may see things differently.

The thing is, there are lot of unknowns right now and that is very unsettling for me.  I don't like not being in control.  I don't like not having a plan for my future, but I have to let the chips fall where they may.  LIke I said, I'm going to work on doing what make me happy and I know if I can do that, I'll never be wrong.

0 comments:

Post a Comment