Thursday, April 25, 2013

How to Make a Baseball Cap Cake

Ok so if you're really here for a step by step how-to then you may not be in the right place.  I didn't take any pictures while doing this, but I'll try to explain what I did so those of you trying to replicate can do it too.


I used the Wilton ball pan and baked both sides of the "ball".

My cake is still wet from attaching the logo so don't look at that 
I then took the other half of the ball and cut about 2 inches off the bottom.  I put a layer of buttercream on top of the 2 inch cake and then put the other half of the ball on top.  This made the head part of the hat.   I then covered it in fondant (that I dyed myself navy).  I had navy food color, but it didn't turn it navy.  I had to add black to get it really dark.  That's my hint, add black and save yourself a lot of time.


I would really have liked to have done a curved brim, but I didn't have gum paste and the fondant just wouldn't harden up enough.  So I just traced a bill of a real hat onto parchment and then placed it onto the rolled fondant and cut around.  I put the ball pan half at the back end and cut it so I knew it would fit perfectly onto the head portion of the cap.


I then used the Wilton Cutter Embosser Fondant Tool to make the "seams" on the brim and cap part.  I used round decorating tips to make the vent holes.  I'm not sure what numbers they were.


Finally I found a NY logo by Googling and cut it out on card stock.  I then placed it on the fondant and cut around it using the embossing tool.  Easy peasy.


I'm really pleased with the way the cake turned out.  I don't think I would have done a thing differently (except use gum paste so I could bend my brim).  I still think the flat bill looks cute!

In case anyone wonders, this cake took me about 2 and a half hours to do (with the cupcakes).  Oh and speaking of cupcakes,  I ordered the toppers from Etsy here.

Oh and in case you're wondering, this was for my friend Tracey's son Owen.  Happy Birthday Owen.  I hope you love your cake!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

It looks great!

Post a Comment