Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend 2013: Part II

So we had enjoyed a lovely day hanging out and riding "toys" but Saturday was special for another reason.  Saturday was Charlene's birthday and we HAD to celebrate.  Well with lips and mustaches of course.  

I printed the lips and mustaches from this blog.

At first I think Tracey thought I was crazy, but I knew the kids would like them.

And who can resist a family portrait of lips and 'staches?

I think it turned out to be a big hit and I think Charlene enjoyed celebrating her day just a little with yummy cupcakes.  I think she especially appreciated that we acknowledged the fact that she was turning 29 with our candles.

I made all the kids pose for pics.  Some were happier than others.

We stayed up pretty late that night sitting around the campfire enjoying s'mores and a few tasty beverages for some.  I cringed when I asked Tracey what time she was going to make me get up to run.  I figured she'd say we were going to be up and running by 7:00 am.  

Luckily she said we'd just wake up and go whenever.  NICE! 

As luck would have it I woke up at 6:30, but I didn't get out of bed and by the time everyone got moving it was nearly 9:30.  

We set out to run 5 miles.  Tracey told me there were a few hills and then we'd have a nice downhill.  There's some debate about what she said after that, but I heard her say it was pretty much flat from there.  She said she never said flat.  Hmph.  Well she was right, it wasn't flat.  

I struggled up many of hills some big, but the flat part was actually a 2 mile long gentle incline.

To say I hated it would be an understatement.

I warned Charlene and Tracey that I was going to be slow.  I promised an 11:00 mile and I didn't disappoint.  

By the time it was all said and done, we did 5.00 miles in 56:20.  That's OVER an 11 minute mile.  Oh well!  Once again, I'm proud of myself for getting out there when I REALLY didn't want to do it.  I had zero desire, but I'm thankful for my friends would didn't let me say no.

I admit, I didn't regret going and it was a GREAT start to the second day at camp.

Stop back for Part III tomorrow.


Post a Comment