Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend 2013: Part III

Ok this should be my last Memorial Day post from the camp.  After our run on Sunday morning, Tracey told the kids we could go on a hike to the beaver dam.  She said it was about a mile.  I detect a theme going with Tracey.  That is, NEVER trust her.  hahaha

Anyway we all got in our appropriate hiking clothes.... um scratch that.  We started off in inappropriate hiking clothes, and by we I mean Ella, and I had to run back and get her jeans.  In my defense, I didn't know we were hiking in the woods.  I thought we were going to be on a trail.  

Ok all better.  Now we're all appropriately dressed.

So we set off with 6 adults and 8 kids ranging in age from 4 to 11??  (I'm not sure how old Anna is) on our "about a mile" hike.

The kids quickly collected walking sticks and used them to navigate the woods.  Here we are in an open field.  Just didn't want you to think I don't know what the woods are.  Ha!

45 minutes and 1.5, YES A MILE AND A HALF, later we made it to the beaver dam.

All the children popped their shoes off and rolled up their pants and plopped right in the freezing cold water.  Um scratch that again.  All the kids but mine.  I wouldn't let them.  I know, I know mean mom, but in my defense, I didn't want them cold and wet and .... Ok I didn't want them a dirty mess.  Sue me.

I still managed to get them on the log on the beaver dam (not pictured) and I of course had a bad attitude and yelled when the shoes went into the cold water.  I should have just let them take the damn shoes off.  Ugh.  I need to learn to let go a little.

Honestly I really don't mind the 1.5 mile hike, I just like to give Tracey a hard time.  It definitely was a great walk through the woods and we got some very scenic pictures out of it.  I love my family pics.

How cute are these kids?

It's amazing, but all 8 kids made it through the weekend without incident.  There was no fighting and I don't think there were any tears.  They get along well and that is SO nice.

 And the adults ain't bad either!  I don't think any of us cried either.

Shortly after we got back from our walk (around 3:30 pm) we decided it was time to make our way back home.  A half an hour into the ride, this is how my backseat looked.

A very successful weekend indeed!


Post a Comment