Friday, June 28, 2013

Surgery Update

This is gonna be a lot of pee talk, so if you don't want to hear about it exit now.

So I had my surgery on Wednesday and everything went basically as planned.  I got to the hospital at 9:30 am for my 11:30 am surgery and they told me they were rushing me along because the surgery before mine got canceled.  That was good because I wanted it over and done with as soon as possible.

I woke up very groggy and feeling like I had to pee.  The tried to give me a bedpan, but I couldn't go.  Everyone kept telling me I probably just felt that way because I didn't have anything in my bladder.  I thought they were crazy.  I was in pain and they gave me meds so I just fell asleep.

When I woke up, I STILL had to pee but couldn't so they called in my doctor.  In the meantime the nurse scanned my bladder and said there was about 20 cc in my bladder.  Um yeah, it sure didn't feel like it.  She just kept insisting I didn't have to go. I KNEW I did.

Finally my doctor came in and she informed everyone that she had filled my bladder after the surgery.  The nurse told her the sonogram machine said there was now 29cc.  My doc said, "I don't care what it says, this girl has a full bladder."

Finally they put in a catheter and drained almost 500 cc from my bladder.  The ONLY good thing I can see out of all of that was that the doctor said it's hard to detect urine with a sonogram in a thin woman.  Ha, ha!  She called me thin!

I went home with the catheter with instructions to take it out on Thursday morning and try to pee.  I took it out and then still could NOT pee.  I had to go to the doctor's office and have the catheter put back in.  I was given the same instructions for today (Friday).  Remove it and see if you can go.

Today I peed all by myself.  I'm a big girl now.  Well not entirely.  As the morning went on, it was obvious I could pee, but only in tiny amounts and less so than what was accumulating in my bladder.  So I took another trip to the doctor in excruciating, my bladder is going to burst, pain where they taught me how to straight catheterize myself.

Yeah that was fun.  Let's just say I'm apparently not too good with my own parts.  At least now I know I can go anytime I want and don't have to have a pee bag strapped to my leg.  Apparently this is all normal and it actually means good things for the sling that was inserted, but it's frustrating not to be able to carry out a natural bodily function.

Hopefully everything will be up and running again normally by Monday.  That was the thought at my doctor's office anyway.  Here's hoping!


Post a Comment