Tuesday, September 24, 2013

I'm a Runner XXX

Susan Tirch
Singer Only in the Car 
39, Mars, Pennsylvania 





I started training for my first half marathon in August of 2009.  I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to do it.  Like literally, I didn't know if I could finish.  I'm 2 weeks away from running my TWELTH half marathon, and while I know it won't be my best half, I know I will finish.

I got to run my first half with Tracey and she (obviously) finished before me.  I remember her having a medal around her neck and asking her if the people that finished in under 2:00 hours got a medal.  She laughed and said no, everyone gets one.  And that's how I was introduced to race bling!

We take so much in life for granted.  Running for instance.  When it's going well, you never stop to take time and thank your body for being so awesome and allowing your legs to carry you.  It's not until it's gone that you stop and appreciate how awesome your body is.

I prefer to run on flat ground these days.  My legs just don't cooperate on hills of any kind AT ALL.

Sometimes I say to myself, why am I doing this?  Why am I running when clearly it's so difficult for me.  Then I remember what doesn't kill us makes us stronger and I'm all about getting stronger (mentally and physically).

I love running on a beautifully sunny day when the air is cool and crisp.  There's nothing like the sun shining on your face just enough to warm the cool air.  PERFECT.

I used to run 4 days a week in order to train for a marathon or half, but cutting back to 3 days has made me happier on so many levels.

I've tried to run and not care about my pace, but pace is such a huge mind game.  I am more and more thankful these days for running at ANY pace at all, but it's hard not to be frustrated with my new pace.

Running is not easy for me.  I need to accept that once and for all.

When you've had the perfect run, you crave it.  You'll spend 100 crappy ones in search of that 1 great one.

I didn't listen to music during my triathlon list past weekend (it's against USAT rules) and I didn't even miss it.  I was there was a recorder for the dialogue in my head.  Now THAT would be some blog post.




0 comments:

Post a Comment