Sunday, November 17, 2013

I'm a Runner XXXII

Susan Tirch
I sing solo, so low no one can hear me (I crack myself up) 
39, Mars, Pennsylvania 

One of the few races George did with me (a 5k).  Circa 2009

I grew up playing outside and always using my imagination.  My mom always told us to choose inside or out and not to be going back and forth (must have driven her crazy the door opening 100000000 times a day)... anyway, I chose outside and we'd be out from dawn til dusk.  Whether it was riding bikes, playing ball or roller skating.  We (my siblings and I) were always active.  I don't remember ever running just to run, however.

My husband doesn't like to run, but he did do a few 5ks with me.  I think that's when he realized how much he really just doesn't like it.  It's probably for the best that he's not a runner, because it's something I can do that he can't (run long distance) and that rarely happens.

My breathing is something I've learned to control by running with friends.  If you want to tell a story and run, you better learn to breathe.  Now don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of times I've had to say, I'm only going to listen and grunt, but I've improved a LOT from my beginning days.

I don't want running to be competitive.  Notice I said want.  I'm really not competitive with my friends, but it's hard not to compare yourself to the girls you are training with.  I do get VERY competitive with myself and I'm determined that one day I will go sub 2:00 for a half.  I WILL!!!

While training for the Pittsburgh marathon this year, I think I might try listening to audio books.  I've never done it before, but I know people do and enjoy it.  I imagine it's got to help pass the time on those lonely solo runs that inevitably happen.

My whole family (meaning George and the kids) usually comes to my BIG races (these days that means a full) and it means so much to me to see them there.  Oddly it means more to me to have George there.  I guess it's because he knows what I went through to get there (training) and can really wrap his head around what I just accomplished.  My kids usually just stand there staring at me.  Ha!

Hill workouts are my nemesis.  I haven't done them in a REALLY long time (since I moved from Texas).  I know hills make me so much stronger and I promise myself to train on some legit hills while training for Pittsburgh.  It's a must to survive.

I hate the early morning hours (before 8 am) but early morning running and workouts are necessary for a variety of reasons.  No matter how many times I've trained and gotten up early, that 4:45 wake up call is NEVER easy, I NEVER get used to it and it NEVER get used to it.  You people who told me those things are liars!

I don't listen to music very often while I'm running these days because I always seem to have a running buddy.  For this reason, my running playlist is so outdated and needs some serious updating. Still, the oldies but goodies, just make me want to run.  Boom Boom Pow.

I'm running a drumstick dash on Thanksgiving this year.  This is the first time I will have run on Thanksgiving.  It's a 4.2 mile race so, of course, I'm stressed.  I hate running "short" races with so much pressure to be fast.  I guess I'll earn all some of those calories though.


0 comments:

Post a Comment