Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Quick and Easy Treadmill Workout and Tomato Soup

Life is busy folks.  Mine and yours, especially this time of year.  I've vowed to myself that I would NOT allow the holiday weight to creep on. There's no sense in giving up now.  Now's the time to buckle down and make good choices MOST of the time so you can enjoy those holiday parties, dinners and treats.  I know what you're thinking, "ain't nobody got time for that."  Well, I'm here with two quick and easy solutions for your eating and workout woes.

You all know by now how much I HATE the treadmill.  I just can't get on and go at a monotonous pace.  I mean I can, but I don't want to.  So today I decided I would do a quick 30 minute workout, but make it count.  This got my heart rate going and I really felt accomplished afterwards.  The good thing about this workout, is that it can be adjusted to anyone's level.  You don't have to use the MPH that I chose.  Your intervals should start out at a moderately hard pace and then increase to VERY HARD for the last interval.  I'm talking 10 out of 10 on the "hardness scale." (I'm not sure that's really a thing, and if it is, I'm not sure I want to know about it.)





I'll be honest, today I did a variation of this workout.  I followed it as is above until the 25 minute mark at which point I did another 7.2 mph interval, a 2 minute walk break and then a 1 minute 7.5 mph interval.  I really hoped I would hit 3 miles in this 30 minute workout but I only hit 2.63 miles.

Because it ain't just good looks over here (I kid), I knew I wouldn't make it to 3 miles as time was clicking closer to that 30 minute mark so I decided to extend my workout to 35 minutes and then made it to 3 miles.


When I thought about writing up this post, I thought "30 minute treadmill interval workout" sounded a lot better than 35.  I mean who searches for a 35 minute workout?  In case you REALLY want to do 35.  Here is is all nice and neat like.



And because we're in the habit of making good choices AND making that EASY, I have another little surprise for you.  This recipe comes from my fabulous friend Dedie.  Everything she makes is just AH-MAZ-ING.  I'm pretty sure she's related to Martha Stewart.  So when I asked her for her tomato soup recipe after having it at her house one day, I thought it would involved 1,000,000 ingredients and as many steps.

As it turns out this recipes is just souped up (see what I did there?) canned tomato soup and it's incredibly good and easy.



Ingredients:

28 oz Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
26 oz tomato soup undiluted
1(32 oz) container of chicken broth
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Directions:


Pulse 1 (28oz) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes in a food processor 3 to 4 times or until finely diced.  Stir together tomatoes; 1 (26oz) can tomato soup, undiluted; 1 (32oz) container chicken broth; and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper in a Dutch oven.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

To serve, top the soup with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.  
Other tasty additions include chopped fresh basil, chives, or rosemary, croutons, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Makes about 11 cups

Enjoy!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment