Monday, December 2, 2013

Drumstick Dash Race Recap

Every race starts the same with me.  I wake up and wonder, "why the hell am I doing this?"  That was only true on Thanksgiving morning, however, because it was 22 degrees.  I wasn't afraid of running in the cold, I was afraid of standing around ahead of time. 

This race was the Drumstick Dash in Broadripple, IN and it benefited the Wheeler Mission (who feed the hungry among other things).  It is a HUGE race hosting more than 17,000 runners.  That was another thing I was worried about-- a total cluster.  

We left the house at 7:30 am for a 9:00 am start.  We arrived and quickly found a parking space in a nearby neighborhood.  It was a relief to not have to use the shuttle, which I heard took a LONG time.  We walked the five minute walk to the start area and decided to take shelter in the McDonalds.  I thought they'd be giving non-patrons a hard time, but there were so many people huddle in there keeping warm and using the restrooms.  It was so nice to have somewhere warm to wait.  I was no longer stressed. 

We headed to the start line at about 8:50.  Everyone was ready to go.  


Me, My dad, Genna, Brian( my brother's friend) Amy (my sister in law) and brother Tim 

My dad and I were running the 4.6 mile timed race as was Brian.  Amy was walking the 2.6 mile course and talked Genna into walking with her.  Tim was running the untimed 2.6 mile course.  


We lined up and were hanging out when my dad spotted a sign saying we were in the 15 minute mile "coral".  There were no corals really just a couple of signs.  I told my dad we had to move up and we moved up to just before we found a 9 minute mile sign.  There were so many people and I was actually pretty warm.


My dad was running with me, which was nice of him.  I thought with all the people we would have a hard time keeping together and I was kind of scared because I had forgotten my garmin in Pittsburgh.  I just hoped for the best.


The race started and we started running.  Of course there were people walking 6 people abreast with no clue as to what was going on around them.  This was frustrating, but only lasted about half a mile or so.  I was so, so cold though.  It was weird, I was warm waiting, but as soon as we started running I was freezing.  I couldn't feel my nose, my hands or my FEET!  It's kind of hard to run when you can't feel your feet.  The first mile was a bit of a struggle because of it, but I managed to muddle through.

Mile 1:   9:58 

After we hit the 1 mile mark, I was warming up a bit, but I felt like I needed water.  I kept asking my dad my pace and every time I asked, it was under a 10:00 pace.  I just knew my pace would fade.

Mile 2: 9:48 

Mile 2 came and went and there was no water still.  I'm used to at least sipping water and I was really in need of water.  The whole time I was running, I was just wishing for it to be over.  I'm not sure why really.  I guess I was just running harder than I wanted to, even though I wasn't really even running that fast.

Finally at the 2.5 mile mark (or so) there was water.  The water was SO cold.  It hurt my teeth and I could barely get it down.  I took in about 4 gulps worth and tossed it aside.  I hope it was enough to get me through the next 2 miles of the race.


The miles seemed to be getting harder and harder and I asked my dad our pace.  He said it was a 9:52 average and I told him to keep me under a 10:00 pace.

Mile 3:  10:00 

It seems like after I told my dad to keep me under a 10:00 pace he picked up.  I was working harder and I didn't know if it was because I was getting tired or because we had picked up pace.  It was kind of nice not knowing because I just kept pushing.  As we got closer to the 4 mile mark I asked my dad if I was fading or if he had picked it up.  He answered that we were both fading.  I asked myself if I should believe him.

The last mile I was just determined to keep pushing and kept telling myself it was almost over.  I could tell my dad had a lot left in him and he kept just ahead of me to keep me going.

Mile 4: 9:41 

I asked my dad again what our pace was and he lied and told me the average was a 9:56.  I panicked a bit not knowing what pace I was currently running and wondering if I'd make my goal of being under a 10:00 minute mile.  About a quarter of a mile later he admitted he had fibbed and told me our average was a 9:52.  At that point, we were getting close to the finish line and my dad pulled away.  I tried to keep up with him, but I just couldn't

Mile 4.6:  9:34 pace

Official Distance:  4.6 miles
Official Total:  45:56 
Official Average:  9:52 



It may not be fast by standards (I finished 112 out of 228 in my age group) but it was a good race FOR ME.  I'm happy to be consistently running under a 10:00 minute mile in the last few races I have done.  I'm improving (or returning whichever way you want to look at it) and that makes me happy.

I am so thankful to have done this race, which wound up being a breeze compared to how I thought it would be logistically.  I was happy to do this with my dad and that he paced me to a good race.  I honestly would not have run as hard without him.  I'm also glad that my brother, niece, and sister-in-law came out and did this with us.  I hope it will become an annual event.

If you're participating in the 30 Day Burpee Challenge, the # of burpees for today is 10!  Get it!!!  




0 comments:

Post a Comment