Monday, January 13, 2014

Lift Me Up

Do you follow any celebrities on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram (follow me @momswimbikerun)?  Do you ever read the comments at the end of an article on the internet? People are NASTY.  NASTY.  Now I get it if you don't like Snookie, you're going to call her an orange troll... but to her face on her OWN Instagram page??? What is wrong with people?  Here's an idea, don't follow her!  (And in case you wonder, I don't like Snookie per se, but I do appreciate her hard work and efforts at the gym so I follow along).  The point is, if you don't like her, why are you following her?

Taylor Swift got ripped apart on Facebook (on a magazine fan page) for being too thin, having an overbite, having no talent.  You name it, they ripped her for it.  I understand that these people are celebrities and they put themselves out there, but they're also human beings-- with FEELINGS!

Regardless of how you feel about the whole celebrity thing, it does say a lot about people (women in particular) that we pick each other apart.  It doesn't matter, you can be too rich, too poor, too thin, too fat, too tall, too short, too much make up, not enough make up, and on and on and on.  I'm sick of it!

Now I'm going to be 100% honest here.  I can be a catty bitch.  I can.  But if I really sit down and examine things, 99% of the time my catty comments stem from jealousy.  I might pretend it doesn't, but really, if I'm being truthful, it does.

I would never, however, go on a public forum and rip someone for just being themselves.  You can't help the nose you were born with, or that you were born with an overbite, that you have red hair, or that you have big ears.  So what's the point in giving someone a hard time about it?   What's the reason behind pointing out someone else's flaws?  I'll tell you, it's to deal with one's own insecurities.  It makes us feel better, and that's horrible.

While I can be catty, I honestly TRY not to be.  I'm a firm believer in women helping other women.  Women empowering other women.  That's what I try to do here on this blog.  God knows I'm not the best athlete, but I've managed to inspire and even empower some people along the way.  And let me be the first to tell you that felt a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT better than talking about someone's Botox or body parts behind their backs.

So women (and men) let's stop competing with one another and empower one another.  Tell your friend when she looks pretty, tell a stranger you like their sweater, tell people they're awesome when they're being awesome.  You never know what's going on in someone's life.  You never know if your compliment might mean something a whole lot more to them than you think.  Hell, even a smile goes a long way.

What's the point in being catty?  Does it REALLY make you feel better about yourself?  Let's face it, someone will always be smaller, faster, richer and prettier than you.  Sorry it's true.  So lift up your fellow sister and EMPOWER her and you and she will become your best selves.

And to the two women who always empower and lift me up in my fitness journey (and in all areas of my life, really), I love you!



Today I challenge you to pay someone (either a friend or a stranger) a genuine compliment.  
What can you do to make someone else's day?  


0 comments:

Post a Comment