Monday, January 20, 2014

Our Outdoor Ice Rink and a Story That Will Melt Your Heart (and the ice)

George built an outdoor ice rink in our back yard.  We've had this thing since 2009 and it lived with us in Texas in hopes of one day coming out of retirement to be used here in frigid Pennsylvania.


It took forever for George to get the thing put up this year.  Hello?  Why did we wait until LATE December to get this thing up?  It's been freezing her since October.  Haha. Nevertheless, it is up and the boys (and Ella, but especially the boys) have been having a blast with it.


I'm gong to share a story about Jack and share some pictures from a skating sesh with Nicholas and his friends today.  The story has nothing to do with the pictures, but I wanted to share both (for my memory scrapbook if you will).


So one day after school I asked Jack to take the dog outside to go potty.  He gets his boots on and heads outside begrudgingly, but then comes back in all excited and asks if he can shovel the ice rink.  We had gotten about 2 inches of snow overnight and he wanted to remove it.


I said sure and he went out back as happy as could be.  I kept looking out the window and he was out there pushing snow around.  I thought he was just having fun with it, but he didn't seem to be getting anywhere in the snow removal process, but I let him be.


After about an hour and a half of me checking on him (and him seeming content), I decided I'd actually go out to check on him and talk to him.  I asked him what he was doing and he said he was shoveling the snow, but it was taking a really long time and he thought he needed "daddy's shovel."  So I tell him to head over to the garage and I'd open the door for him to get it.


I peer out the laundry room window to watch him.  He grabs George's shovel, which is 2 times the size of himself and he's happily talking to himself and drags the shovel over to the rink.  All is well I think, and I close the garage door and go back about my business.


About 15 minutes later I walk out to check on him and the ice rink was completely clear.  In 15 minutes he had cleared the the ice with daddy's big shovel, a task he hadn't been able to complete with his tiny kid size snow shovel in over 1.5 hours.

He was so please with himself and told me to put the garage door up so he could put the shovel away.  When he came inside and stripped his hat and coat, he was soaked to the bone with sweat.  Here I thought the whole time he was just playing around, but that poor peanut had been trying tirelessly to remove the 2 inches of snow.


The thing is, he didn't care.  That child was beaming with pride over the task he had just completed.  I don't think he knew the difference between 2 hour or 2 minutes.  He was SO PROUD of himself.  He reaped the rewards of his hard efforts too.  That evening, with Ella and Nicholas at activities, he enjoyed 45 minutes of skating all to himself.  He couldn't have been happier.

Lesson learned:  hard work does pay off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment